Kaimai-Mamaku Tracks and Huts

Its been interesting following the chat about Kauritatahi Hut. Has anyone been to or know of some of the others? Mangamuka Hut - Hurunui Hut - Motutapere Hut. Also Google earth shows a structure on what I guess was the old North - South Track at 37°41'57.09"S and 175°52'44.35"E. Also at Linz website other huts are mentioned. One in the valley east of Mount Te Aroha.
77 comments
51–60 of 77

Nice to see that the Kaimais are getting a good voice on this site. I was wondering if anyone knows the condition of a section of the old North South track which runs from Cashmore Clearing/Wahine Rock junction - North over Pahiko to .799 Pukekoatu? Totally recommend North/South track trip on the main track.
I am planning to do the first half of the Kaimai North/South track in early June. Is it safe to leave a vehicle at the Karangahake Reserve or would it be better to park and start at the end of Dickey Flat Rd?
Catch 22, the reserve is on main rd and open to opportunists, Dickey's flat is sucluded could be ok as there is usually campers or house buses there. I have left a vehicle at Franklin Rd a number of times with no problems as there is houses near by. But certainly not full proof. I may be able to assist with a drop off if that would help ease your mind.
Thanks for that. We will probably stay in a motel in Waihi the night before we start, and sometimes I have managed to get the motel owner to do a track transfer. I'll let you know when I've got full details. You might want to join us if you don't mind tramping with 3 old farts!
I would have thought Franklin Road the best spot, if you are going to leave a car anywhere. I live in Tauranga, and could possibly assist with a pick up for you at the end of your tramp.
I often judge a carpark by its glass reminantes. Franklin road end is usually good. Thompsons track looks like a crims playground. Wharawhara road end is relatively clean. Waihi is very close to all track ends and Im sure you could organise with a motellier to drop of and pick up. I dont think that local taxis would be all that expensive as the distance isnt that great. I will watch this thread for updates as i may even be in the area myself during this time.
The plan at the moment is to leave our vehicle at Thompson's track carpark. Sister picks us up, all stay in motel in Waihi Sat night [30th May]. Motellier says he will drop us off at track start [Sun am].Sun night Daly's Clearing Hut, Mon Waitawheta Hut, Tues Te Rereatukahia. Out Wed to Thompsons Track where hopefully the vehicle will still be there and in 1 piece! Anyone want to join us or if we can help with transport let me know.
I would ask Peter (pmcke) who his friend is and Leave it there if its at all possible. Thompsons track carpark isnt great or secure.
I have already sent a private mail to fruitbat. The only reason I know this guy was that I turned up on his doorstep once and asked if I could park there. There are people living up all those roads and I am sure most of them would be quite happy to mind a car on an all care but no responsibility basis.
How was Kaurititahi Hut Big Paul? Did you get to go?
51–60 of 77

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Haqii
On 25 September 2008
Replies 76
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown