Kaimai-Mamaku Tracks and Huts

Its been interesting following the chat about Kauritatahi Hut. Has anyone been to or know of some of the others? Mangamuka Hut - Hurunui Hut - Motutapere Hut. Also Google earth shows a structure on what I guess was the old North - South Track at 37°41'57.09"S and 175°52'44.35"E. Also at Linz website other huts are mentioned. One in the valley east of Mount Te Aroha.
77 comments
41–50 of 77

PMCKE + Haqui: Nice to see you guys still chatting here. Haqui: You found Hurunui Hut? In the dark! Very impressive stuff . Have DoC put a sign up leading into the bush toward the hut, or re-cut the link track to the hut? Pmcke: could U check for me: Are ALL FIVE of the 'Forgotten Huts' now back on the menu? (I.e. The new Park map?) >>> If so, I need to change the articles I sent off to Wilderness magazine, Inc your DC-3 pics.
No attempt has been made to make it easier to find Hurunui, I had been there before so knew what I was looking for. If Kauritatahi is any indication, I think it will not be long until it is sign posted and recut. The North - South Track from the Junction just north of the Hut through to Te Tuhi Junction is now a very well cut track.
Huts shown on the map are, Motutapere, Kauritatahi, Hurunui & Mangamuka. I think the last of the 5 will be Puketutu which isn't shown and that will be because it isn't on DOC land.
I got the Kaimai-Mamaku map from the Auckland Map Centre and it is the new one. Poor paper quality. The trouble with ordering online is that other things jump into the shopping cart, like waterproof map paper and track brochures and it ends up quite expensive! Never been in the area but now inspired by the talk in the forums to take new map and head out there.
Just back from a trip into Waitawheta Hut going in from Wharawhara Rd and came out at Lindemann Rd. Waitawheta Hut was chocka when we arrived. They all looked like they were at least 70 and some of them looked like pretty good snorers so we pitched a tent fly on the verandah, grabbed the spare matresses and had the most comfortable night of the lot. It is a great area. You don't get above bushline much but the bush is nice and easily accessable all the way along the range. I reckon doing the North-South Track from one end to the other would be a wonderful trip.
its on the cards
I was once told the N-S track was a bit "jungley"...
Quite a bit of work has been done on sections of this track in the last 6 months or so there are some sections of the old track that are overgrown and boggy but all in all no problems
I have been on all but Thompsons to Te Rereatukahia and it is very clear, unless you go on the old north south track.
Neat. I'd always wondered about the N-S, might be worth a crack! "See ya hun, pick me up on the way to Tauranga, say, 6 days?"
41–50 of 77

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Haqii
On 25 September 2008
Replies 76
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown