Kaimai-Mamaku Tracks and Huts

1–10 of 77

Its been interesting following the chat about Kauritatahi Hut. Has anyone been to or know of some of the others? Mangamuka Hut - Hurunui Hut - Motutapere Hut. Also Google earth shows a structure on what I guess was the old North - South Track at 37°41'57.09"S and 175°52'44.35"E. Also at Linz website other huts are mentioned. One in the valley east of Mount Te Aroha.
I have been past Motutapere Hut. From what I remember it was in fairly grotty condition and not very inviting. But I think it was structurly quite sound and probably just needs some love. The North South track from the Tuahu Track down to Thompsons is an interesting trip and well worth doing
The Structure you mention is Puketutu Hut. I have never been there but have a couple of photos of it.
Also spotted this Bivouac Marked on the Linz site at: 37°32'39.94"S 175°50'31.26"E. The Puketutu Hut sounds good. Might have to do that soon.
Went up to Puketutu Hut last weekend, a neat little hut. 2 proper bunks, with a third over the locker if needed. The hut is a bit moldy and drafty, but the views over the Bay of Plenty are fantastic. Will put up hut info soon, along with directions.
Haqii: Thanks for all your recent info on the mysterious Puketutu Hut - just another one I have to frequent! As a return gesture, I've put Hurunui Hut & photos onto tramper.co.nz site. Wife & I found this baby at Easter 2008. If you need to tramping partner, I am keen to 'HUT BAG' Motuapere, Mangamuka & Kauritatahi Huts this summer.
Sounds good, they are on my hit list, I am thinking of doing Motuapere next weekend. Hurunui is also on my list for this summer, thanks for the info. I have only minor info on how to find Mangamuka, apparently somewhere on the North - South track (east of the hut) is sign post, saying "North South Track" and opposite that is the unmaintained track leading west directly to the hut. It is also visible on Google earth.
Dear Haqii, Sounds like you might already be on or soon doing this jaunt along the kaimais. Over the last 10 years I have done the all of the summit route with the exception of the bit from just North of Te Rereatukahia to the track up from Waiorongomai. I am keen to hear of any data on the state of this track. It looks good heading North from Te Rereatukahia to Wahine rock and looks good heading South from the Waiorongomai to Waitawheta track but at the pylons above the Wairongamai Kauris it looks pretty rough. I read an account of a club trip through there about 10 years ago but have not heard of any success since. Can you add anything to my knowledge. I have stayed at a number of these huts - Waitawheta, Puketutu a few times and the one near the DC3 on one occasion.
The track up from Wairongamai is old and overgrown with lots of windfall above the kauri loop but passable with effort. Once you reach the old north south track it is very historic to say the least but again passable. fortunately while the old track markers come and go the ridge is well defined so its hard to get lost while bush bashing. DOC would prefer that you dont pass here but the trip has its merits
I have added a couple of photos to my page that will give you a good idea of the challenge. Wairongamai 1@2 and the diff between a route and a track is
1–10 of 77

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Haqii
On 25 September 2008
Replies 76
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown