Kaimai-Mamaku Tracks and Huts

Its been interesting following the chat about Kauritatahi Hut. Has anyone been to or know of some of the others? Mangamuka Hut - Hurunui Hut - Motutapere Hut. Also Google earth shows a structure on what I guess was the old North - South Track at 37°41'57.09"S and 175°52'44.35"E. Also at Linz website other huts are mentioned. One in the valley east of Mount Te Aroha.
77 comments
31–40 of 77

Could only see the "Interim revision 2000" version on the site. Could not see the new version listed.
I think It's so new it hasn't been added to the site yet. I was assured the one I have ordered is more recent than that. I'll keep you posted.
My maps just arrived. Looks good, 1:50,000. printed on fairly crappy paper but good detail on the maps. Shows conservation area boundaries and all the forgotten huts.. Whoopee!
Just spotted the pic of the turn off to Kauritatahi Hut, was there this morning, how quickly things change, there is now a full DOC sign and the track has been re cut. I just completed a multi day from Old Kaimai to West Thompsons Track, what an awesome 4 days, will post pics and maybe do a write up of the trip.
I was just looking through my pics of that trip late last year and thought that I should have posted that photo. Only a couple of years back you had to stooge around in the bush to find the old track so thought people had better know that things have changed. Great to hear that they have changed again. It is odd that DOC abandoned that track and have now reopened it. I guess it was an expression of interest by the community that did it. I have a mate who is getting a bit long in the tooth for rough tramping and he has said he would like to go back to Kauritatahi. I will have to tell him that the track has been recut.
Incidentally, they wouldn't have reopened the shortcut from the clearing just north of this sign down to Thompson's Track would they? I have been meaning to go there with some tools and reclear that track myself. It is only a coupel of 100m but saves a lot of time.
No, did not see any new cutting in that area. The clearing there was a probable for camping and I had a good look round. I take it you mean through to the East Thompson Track? The long drop looked right dodgy, so opted to hang on. The track to Kauritatahi Hut is a bit tricky in places, more rock climbing than tramping. A fall in a few of the places could end in a broken wrist or ankle.
I came up from Uplands Road End, about 10 mins before turn off to hut there was a track marked with three strips of plastic nailed to a tree and lots of tape heading north. There was also a well kept campsite cut amongst the trees about 5 mins before that. Not sure what this track was marked for, thought it might have been the plane crash, except now I see that it is in the wrong valley.
The shortcut I was talking about is is on Thompson's Track. You can see it clearly on my GPX file at http://www.tramper.co.nz/?3103
I am writing up a full account of my 3 or so days but may take a while. In brief, last Thursday was dropped off at Old Kaimai Road, West Henderson track entrance at just after 8pm. Walked up to Hurunui Hut in the dark. Arrived about 11pm. Set off next day along north south track about 8 am. The North South from here through to Te Thui track has been re cut, well marked with old permerlot markers and a great walk. Planned camp site under water so went to Puketutu hut for night. Cold, but dry. Next day through to Kauritatahi Hut via uplands road track. A very pretty valley, best part of the Kaimais I have found so far, a lot of windfall, but nothing impassable. Saw North Island Robin, Tom Tit and a Kokako and a sow with piglets. Next day out to end of Thompsons Track, west side for pick up. A great trip.
31–40 of 77

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Haqii
On 25 September 2008
Replies 76
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown