Kime Hut - reopen?

Anyone know if Kime Hut's open yet? DoC's showing it as closed but someone told me it will be open for this weekend.
This is from the HVTC mailing list with personal details removed basically kimes not complete yet and the builders have it locked ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Date: 25 March 2013 21:21 Subject: Kime 2 gone, and Kime 3 unavailable over Easter and til late April - please inform your club members urgently Wellington manager of the Kime 3 building project, rang today to say that about 20 April is the target date for the builders sign-off of Kime 3, after which it has to be OKed by the Kapiti Coast DC building inspector, before the public can use it. Consequently Kime 3 will NOT be available over Easter, or up to sign-off by KCDC in late April, and will be locked up over Easter and at other weekends, when the builders ae not there, to safeguard their gear. Neither is Kime 2 there as it has been dismantled, and flown out, so cannot provide any shelter. Users must use other huts, or possibly tent out if the weather is reasonable. Please inform your Club members urgently, if you can. Once Kime 3 is OK-ed by KCDC, then the public can use it. I will email TAR Huts Committee when this date is confirmed. Then an official opening will be planned. Hut completion and Sign-off date of course depends on the weather. Best regards Secretary, Tararua, Aorangi, Rimutaka Hits Committee
awesome, so if there are a pile of bodies outside the door who look like they were trying to get in when they perished we know why....
But its going to stay warm and sunny till at least then
you'd trust the forecast for the tararuas would be the same as the rest of the region?
We certainly do know why: They didn't research up-to-date details of where they were going, check the forecast, or take adequate portable shelter.
I was up at Kime last month the boys were about to put the roof on the next day, it is coming along nicely . I went to Penn Creek a fortnight ago and a few blokes I met at Field had come back from Kime . I think it is open, but DOC say it is closed out of respect for the two builders who are up there . The new Kime should be all but finished I imagine . Anyway it is only three hours from Kime to Alpha or Elder and only an hour and a half back down to Field . I have been on the Tararua tops every fortnight this year and it has been sublime every time. I was at Arete Forks two days ago and coming back down the gorge only took two and a half hours, its that low . Make the most of it I say .
Is there any update on the opening date for the new hut? Will be up there next week.
officially it's still closed until further notice http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/backcountry-huts-by-region/wellington-kapiti/kapiti/kime-hut/

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by davidm
On 27 March 2013
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown