variations on the "three passes route" Arthurs P

1–10 of 21

I am trying to find a late summer route plan (for Feb-March 2013) to take in the 3 passes (Harman Pass, Whitehorn Pass, Browning Pass) but link it up with the hot spring near Julia Hut in the upper Taipo. Two specific questions: 1. Can someone update me on the condition/ travel time to cross from Newton Creek Hut over Newton Saddle to Dunns Creek Hut or Mid Taipo Hut? How weather dependant is such a crossing? 2. What would it be like crossing from Mudflats Hut over the Campbell Range to Julia Hut? My anticipated party of 4 experienced Australian trampers with several previous ofrays into NZ. (eg did the standard Harman Pass route 25 yrs ago). Not plannign on using rope/harness but would expect to be carrying crampons/ ice axe.
Newton Ck hut to Dunns hut takes about half a day and then it would take approx another 1.5hrs to Mid Taipo hut. The tracks were quite good late last year. I haven't walked from Mudflats hut to Julia hut via the Campbell Range but it would be possible in a day by cresting the range & dropping into Julia Creek and following it down to the hut. (I have been from Mudflats & Harman huts up on to the Campbell Range and walked to the head of Julia Creek so have an idea of what would be involved) Are you aware that after ascending Browning Pass you can go to Julia hut via the slopes of Mt Harman, Popes Pass and Julia Creek. It would be a comfortable day from Park Morpeth hut to Julia hut via this route. (I have done the Popes Pass/Mt Harman route from Julia hut through to Browning Pass) In Feb-March what you are proposing should be able to be tackled without rope & crampons but ice axes could be useful and at least one should be carried by the party if not one each. Heavy rain would stop/delay you on parts of the proposed route.
Andrew Buglass has just done a recut on the Dunns Creek track downstream of the hut if anyone wants a shortcut into the Taipo downstream of the Mid-Taipo hut. If you're planning to stay at Mid-Taipo as does this party enquiring, you'll be wanting to use the direct track from the true right of Dunns Creek, over the little saddle and down into Hura Creek of course.
thank you glennj Can you tell me any more about this great sounding option of doing the three passes to Browning, then traverse to Popes pass and down julia creek to upper Julia hut and hot springs? What is it like from traversing to Popes Pass, and what is it like finding our way down to Julia Hut? How long would it take a bunch of 50 year olds? Re equipment, would we need crampons or would micro-spikes (slip on 5-10mm spikes/chains for your boots)be adequate with walking poles? It seems this shorter route , compared to going west to Dunns creek will allow us to have a bad weather day or 2 whilst still fitting it into a week. Dan
Hi Dan, Just saw this as I've been in the hills for a few days. I'd say the route finding would be pretty easy in good wx. As per my previous reply crampons should not be required in Feb - March tho an ice axe(s) could be useful. The worst bit might be getting thru the overgrown track above Julia hut as far as the tussock & rock. Last I heard was that this track needed some work done on it. There is a chance a Permolat member, not me, could be doing some work on it before Feb. Have a look at the Julia hut page on the Permolat site. Despite the current condition of that bit of track I'd anticipate it being a comfortable day getting from Park Morpeth hut to Julia hut by that route.
dan E I've never used walking poles at all let alone in combo with micro spikes/chains so I can't be authorative in reply to that part of your question. However I suspect they would be adequate for what you want to do in Feb-March. When we went thru Popes Pass & side tripped up Mt Harman before dropping to the upper Arahura near Browning Pass we didn't have crampons with us just ice axes. Regarding the scrub in Julia Creek; I've recently talked with someone who was thru there in 2009. He did some work on the track but more was required. After his efforts it was followable & quite well marked but narrow/snow damaged in places. When I said it should be a comfortable day from Park Morpeth hut to Julia hut via Browning & Popes Passes I was basing it on my current walking times & I'm in my mid 50's.
I walked the 3 Passes route in the first week of February this year. Terrific route and would def recommend it to anyone looking for something a little more challenging and off the beaten path than the 'Great Walks'. I had considered taking the Popes Pass route from Browning Pass to Julia Hut; however, I got a bit put off by a visitor logbook entry at a hut along the way where a solo walker (I was also walking solo) described turning back at a point where a long drop off would have given him no way back. I was also concerned about there being crazy scrub around the river. Would be good to see a comment from someone who has done the route recently. You can read my blog about the tramp here: http://trailsandtracks.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/3-passes-loop-variation-arthurs-pass-nz.html
There is a good chance I'll walk Browning Pass to Julia hut or vice versa again this April. Afterwards I can post re current conditions. Can't recall any long drop off where there would be no way back! The scrub could be a pain? However the bit concerned, the old track above Julia heading for Popes, did get a trim & remark by a volunteer back in 2009 so it's unlikely to be too bad.
Glenn, Perhaps the other solo hiker went a bit off track. It will be good to see your post once you've revisited the route. Photos would be good, if you're feeling keen. Cheers, Andrew
OK I'll post something after walking Popes Pass again. I read your blog. The trip was a bit of a saga but it all ended well & I'm glad you enjoyed the country & adventure. The river crossing & navigation mishaps are less likely to happen to locals who are familiar with the country. Sharing your story may prove instructional for some. Some minor things; it was Anti Crow hut not Crow hut that you passed. Guess you will take a paper map & compass in a sealed plastic bag as well as gadgetry on future trips? The Permolat web site has detailed instructions on how to get to Newton Creek hut. Using Third Gorge Creek works but by carrying on another 250m you would have hit the cut track down to the swingbridge.
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by dan E
On 18 June 2012
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown