DOWNHILL TECHNIQUES

I've been pondering Bigpom's recent post about his Mid Waiohine experience and especially his throw-away comment about a 20-minute descent to the hut from Isabelle. He said in his reply to my facetious comment that his knees give him gyp and he likes to get descents over and done with as quickly as possible. Which is perfectly understandable. When they reach a Certain Age, most people's knees give copious amounts of gyp. But the questions to which I'd appreciate answers are - does everyone, gyp or no gyp, descend 1000 metres in 20 minutes? And if so, does anyone have any advice about a safe technique for doing it? My size 14s have never been especially maneuverable, so to avoid falls, sprains and worse, especially if I'm heavily loaded, I make sure I've planted them securely before taking the next step. Is this being wise, or over-cautious? Should I, perhaps, swing like Tarzan from tree to tree, or leap, feet together, eyes closed, and hope for the best? Should I invest in a toboggan? Or a parachute? Are poles the answer? Or are they a menace? I seem to spend half my time on a descent untangling my boots from mine.
14 comments
11–14 of 14

Bigpom? Bigpaul- I think we've just been hybridised!
I had that creeping feeling myself :) I have a great deal of respect for a man who can perform a half gainer off a bluff in a bid to defy myth busters rates of descent and live - all be it in a rebuilt better than before condition. Having descended said inclines with my ever degenerating knees I can only shake my head in wonder and cringe at the possible future of limbs so treated. In a perverse way I want to be around for that discussion:)
No disbelief from me after the clarification, though I was surprised with davidm's original description. Sorry if it came across that way. 0.7 metres/second seems doable to me with a bit of a canter on the right kind of route.
Huge apologies to both bigpaul and madpom for the cross-addressing. A senior moment there to which I seem to be succumbing with increasing frequency these days. I have been overawed by the response to this post, and especially by Honora's physiological exposition which has left me realising that it's not the going but the stopping that's been causing the pain all this time, and by madpom's exploits which simply leave me awestruck.I remain but a humble plodder who loves his Tararua tops and realises that to get to them it is sometimes necessary to sink to the depths.
I reckon that that the climb out of Mid Wiohine is the most unrelenting in the Tararua's. many people say the the climb from Neil Forks to Maungahuka is harder but I don't think so. I'm with Madpom and his downhill trot I find it is easier on the knees and toes than a more slow or cautious descent. There is more of a flow and no impact stop with each step.Doesn't work as well with a big pack as sometimes the weight can take over and send you off into parts unknown
11–14 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by davidm
On 16 January 2011
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown