Wet Weather Gear

Am about to invest in a raincoat. It's gona cost and I would like to invest wisely. Any comments from those that are staying dry in the rain? What are you using? Any comment on the Oringi tramper jacket?
105 comments
71–80 of 105

Over the years I have used the full range of parka's from the old japara types up to modern breathable fabrics. currently I am using an Oringi Milford Parka made out of something called Flexothane. It breathes a bit, but I have to say that I think breathabilty is way over rated. What I really like about the Oringi is the length. It's great in wet tussock and for bush bashing. The hood is OK but not as good as some of the wire stiffened types, but it is adjustable for volume and tightness, I do the same as nzbazza and wear a cap underneath. I think the current price is about $300 All in all it's very well made and has been very durable over the last 4 years
Does anyone here use waterproof over-trousers or pants? I have never found a pair that felt comfortable to walk in (far too restricting movement-wise) so hence I never do. If I ever need leg coverings a pair of polypro long johns can be called into service, but with knee high gaiters and a hardy attitude I haven't missed them (or so I think!).
Does anyone here use waterproof over-trousers or pants? I have an old pair of pale coloured hairy skins that are easy cleaned and quick drying....getting a bit saggy around the knees after all these years...
1 deleted post from LBDuck
I have a pair made by EarthSeaSky, really rate them but mainly only where them while working. Bit to bulky/heavy to take tramping. I must have tried on every over-trouser in Nelson before finding them. [url]http://www.earthseasky.co.nz/products/waterproof/entrant.html[/url] They are called "Entrant Pants", find them comfy enough to walk in. I think getting a proper fit is important, ignore brands, fabrics, recommendations and get what fits best (within budget) and it should be comfy to walk in.
1 deleted post from militaris
With regards to Jackets, my cheap goretex fairydown jacket must be 4-5 years old and is still going strong. Do not think it leaks and its life has been far from easy. Been a long time since I checked whats available, but when it finally dies would probably replace it with a ultra light marmot jacket. Assuming it fits. The Super Mica Jacket looks very nice.... Have to wait until a 40% discount before buying one... http://www.marmotnz.co.nz/products/super-mica-jacket
I carry cheap warehouse overtrou Dont know if they work as I have never used them. If the weather allows shorts therer is no need to wear them So you only need them over cold weather gear. Trou dont need to be as waterproof as your coat as the coat protects them to a degree but they do need to be breathable..
I carry waterproof overtrousers when above the bushline as a precautionary measure but seldom actually wear them. At times I've been very grateful that I've carried them when hit by unforecast rain/snow/sleet squalls. I use the stretchy "flex" type leggings bought from a farm supply store. Usually I wear shorts but occasionally long johns or poly props under shorts if it's very cold. In the bush I find waterproof overtrousers unnecessary if constantly moving about. If working/walking in bad alpine scrub, gorse or blackberry canvas leggings are good. They offer a degree of waterproofing & stop the leg scratching you would get if wearing shorts. Gaiters also become unnecessary. I use the cut away groin type with each legging hanging off a belt loop. With this style you don't get too hot & leg movement is not unduly restricted. You can get them in different weight canvas. A very good design legging used to be available and perhaps still is from a saddlery shop in Oruanui Street, Taupo. My current pair was custom made by an upholsterer in Dannevirke. Lighter gauge canvas leggings are available at some of the farm supply chains.
I never use overtrou unless I'm above the bushline and it's sleeting or snowing. I hardly ever carry them. No point when wearing shorts - raincoat comes down past shorts and gaiters almost come up to knees.
Well, this sook carries them on every trip and wears them when she stops for lunch etc. I have a pair of 100g dry ducks for dry trips or no scrub trips and a 200g pair for scrub/heavy rain trips. The dry ducks are extremely comfortable. I hate getting a wet backside so put them on if there's proper rain. I've been known to wear both pairs at once. The 200g ones slide nicely over the dry ducks so don't catch at the knees. Also good to lend to the person on your trip who didn't bring overtrous and it got chilly...
To those of you who arrive home with 'wet' wet weather gear, I have a new product to assist with the drying of wet gear. As a farmer living in a wet climate, I created this product so I had dry leggings and raincoat to use the next day. It worked very well, and many friends commented on it and after much trial and era the 'hangdri.tm' was created. Manufacturers of most wet weather gear advise agianst storing their garments while damp. Go to www.hangdri.co.nz for more info.
71–80 of 105

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by chocs
On 10 March 2008
Replies 104
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown