Wet Weather Gear

Am about to invest in a raincoat. It's gona cost and I would like to invest wisely. Any comments from those that are staying dry in the rain? What are you using? Any comment on the Oringi tramper jacket?
105 comments
81–90 of 105

I always carry them as they`re handy to put on over shorts/boots when it`s cold before you shoulder your pack.Then slip them off & stow `em.Must be able to put on over your boots.I once flagged putting on a cheap pair,because I would`ve had to remove my boots.It was cold with rain/wind at altitude & I thought I`d tough it out.At the bottom of the Browning Pass,I`d got very cold,even though I was walking.When I got out,I bought a pair of zip-offs,by Earth,Sea,Sky,that I always pack.If you are immobile & cold,they will help,with your parka,to maintain some warmth.
Earth, Sea, Sky are an excellent brand.
Oh boy best thing i have bought is a my ESK Vespa its the first thing in my pack winter and summer.
What is it?
Funny.. you google it and this thread comes up. The alternative is that it is an Italian motorscooter that was popular in the 60s.
ok i get it Earth Sea Sky vespa (at least i think thats what its called) a zip up micro lite jumper.
Aquired an NZ Army issue Swazi Gore-tex Wet weather jacket, i`ve never got wet in it - only problem the fact its `Raging Gay Camo` Can`t understand how anyone could fault swazi if all there jackets are like this.
I have a Mountain Designs Stratus . I usually tend to buy New Zealand brands, even those manufactured overseas . I had always wanted a Swazi Tahr anorak, but they are so damned expensive . Even though Mountain Designs are an Australian company, this jacket is awesome, and totally made for a New Zealand environment . It covers my shorts, a really long jacket, but I am not hindered in anyway movement wise, it is a really good jacket, a good hood, waterproof vips, storm flap, pit zips . I got it on special for half price and can't fault it, keeps me dry as a bone .
coats with shinier surfaces shed the water better i've had two macpac event coats and the fabric wetted out quickly and stopped breathing changed brands and found a coat that worked well, but i had to import the coat
militaris some membranes don't like the oil from your skin, it can clog up the membrane requiring more washing... if you ear nothing under a coast you're going to put more oil on hte membrane, just try a thin polypro t shirt
81–90 of 105

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by chocs
On 10 March 2008
Replies 104
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown