Copland Pass

1–10 of 21

Hiya, Anyone interested in crossing the Copland Pass, after Boxing Day, and before 8 Jan. Must be fit, and familiar with ice axe and crampons. Bunnies need not apply. Leave a note, thank you
bunnies?
Yes, a bunny meaning someone who is just not fit enough, has never used ice axe or crampons before, would not be able handle themselves on a steep icy slope, etc. Not intending this unkindly. The Copland Pass has seen a number of fatal accidents in the past, because of poorly equipped parties, under prepared, inexperienced and so forth.
We are intending to do the copland pass next week. Just 2 of us. I have done winter tramping/climbing with ice axe, crampons & ropes several times. If we are unsuccessful this time, then we might consider to give it another go after boxing day.
Hi...I am just curious as to the latest route over the Copeland. I went over the pass in the early 90s when you could still get to Hooker Hut but believe the hut access is now cut off. I was thinking about doing the trip again sometime but was wondering which route people now take to get to the Copeland Shelter.
Good luck, Lucky7755! I hope u have good weather, there will probably be a lot a snow around, below the shelter. i am down there at Mt cook, this coming weekend, 19, 20 and 21 November. The route most people take Teapot is on the western side of Hooker Lake, and up onto the glacier, and then ascend a gully North of the Copland Ridge. This accesses a shelf above the glacier, that is then crossed to get to the base of the ridge. Like you I last did the trip when there was easy access to Hooker Hut.
The new route with a detail map is describt in this web: http://www.alpinerecreation.com/coplandpass.html Doc has updated track condition news on 22 Oct 2010 as: Copland Pass Do not attempt the pass unless you have a high level of mountaineering experience and the proper equipment. Be aware that the cable that hangs down the moraine wall onto the Hooker Glacier has been damaged quite badly near the anchors. Do not use this cable as any significant weight might cause it to break. DOC Mt Cook staff are working to fix this. If anyone just done this pass recently, please advice. Ta.
Hi Blue Penguin, Nice to know you will be there 19~21 this weekend. We will be arriving Twizel on 19th and attempting to do the Pass from 20~23 Nov. Aoccrding to Classic Tramping in NZ, the best time to do it is Nov & Dec (p160) as the short glacial section being free of crevasses.
A mountaineer in Doc office of Mt Cook Village advised us to do other pass instead of Copland Psss. She said since the beginning of this season, no one had ever done this thus they got no report regarding the condition of the icy pass. The weather was not very good when we got there. We had done the Ball Pass instead. Then we headed to West Matukituki to do the French Ridge up to nearly Quater Deck. I am now considering come back again for Copland Pass after Boxing Day if we have experienced companion.
Fitzgerald Pass, just south of Copland Pass is an option taken by many now.
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Blue Penguin
On 5 November 2010
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown