Copland Pass

Hiya, Anyone interested in crossing the Copland Pass, after Boxing Day, and before 8 Jan. Must be fit, and familiar with ice axe and crampons. Bunnies need not apply. Leave a note, thank you
21 comments
11–20 of 21

Yes, Aardvark! Alpine Recreation have promoted this as a guided trip. Do you have a route guide? Not sure if i will be going there now, i might be doing a Travers/Sabine (Nelson Lakes) 7 day round trip after Boxing Day. Cheers Penguin
I don't think there is a written guide but i have heard that people start ascending early. Such as from the bottom end of the terminal lake. Good luck. I'd like to go but fares from Brissie at that time aren't too affordable.
You wont be far from the pass in March, aardvark;)
Yeah but we only way we'll catch ém is if they are going to take the crossing over three months. But what the heck.... i'm good if you are.
Hmmm, I may have to review our plans to accommadate this. Will also mean carrying a bit more gear.
Hey I have used Ice Axe and Crampons before but just two times. I am very experienced in Tramping and I have done much rock climbing for the last years but I would like to start with mountaineering cause thats totally my thing. I learn really fast and from rock climbing I know to get on a mountain. I am probably the wrong companian but if u wanna give it a try just leave me a message
Did you do the copland pass?? would be interested to know how it went as keen to do in future
Gottlieb Braun-Elwart used to recommend Fitzgerald Pass instead of the Copland Pass.
extract from NZ Wilderness magazine, Nov 2004- Charlie Hobbs, Southern Alps Guiding, Aoraki/Mt Coo "we operate a very successful Copland Pass guided operation based at Mt Cook. We have been running these 5 day trips for many years now. We were therefore, surprised to read Gottlieb Braun-Elwert's claim (Wilderness September 2004) that the Copeland Pass is 'dangerous and his 'new route' is the way to go. The route that Braun-Elwert recommends is dangerous and has many objective hazards along the way. There is one section of the route that exposes people to serious ice cliff danger and much of the route is steep and exposed. The classic Copland Ridge when accessed from the eastern side of the Hooker Valley(the opposite side from the original access to the Copland Track) is an incredible journey. There are no icefall hazards and the ridge offers very pleasant alpine scrambling finishing off on a small glacier that paves the way to the pass. The Copland Pass via the East Hooker is still a classic trip and one every Kiwi tramper should want to do at some stage."
Watch out for the Fitzgerald pass option - has some real exposure. and the sometimes hard ice on the east side can freak out the inexperienced. (several deaths because of this unfortunately)
1 deleted post from Blue Penguin
11–20 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Blue Penguin
On 5 November 2010
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown