What did everybody do for the long weekend?

1–10 of 13

So, where did yo go making use of this excellent weather...
Walked a wonderful loop in the Kawekas, mostly on the tops to take advantage of the stunning weather. Friday night at Middle Hill Hut, then across to Tira Lodge. Wondered where everyone was, as we hadnt seen any other trampers, but Sunday night delivered 20 people to Makino Hut.
Three of us walked to the Kakapo hut. The Kakapo R is a tributary of the Karamea R. We did a loop from the Wangapeka Track. Day 1 was from Little Wanganui roadend to Taipo hut. Day 2 We turned off the Wangapeka Track at Herbert Ck & went to Kakapo hut via Kakapo Saddle. Day 3 was back to the Wangapeka Track at Bell Town hut and on out to the roadend. Getting back to the Wangapeka Track was via an un-named saddle into Bellbird Stream & then via Lawrence Saddle into the Little Wanganui catchment. We had great wx. It was satisfying to walk to Kakapo hut reputedly a challenging task. At one stage the hut was only getting one walk in party visiting per year.(Now about six) [JH & I have now visited all the northern West Coast DOC huts!]
Went in to Waipakihi Hut over Umukarikari and then did a loop along the tops down the Middle Range and then down to the river again on the Thunderbolt track. Had a magic high camp in perfect weather near Thunderbolt. See pics at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2082568&id=1061445913&l=ce73fe894e
A group of us went for a day tramp up Arowhana [2nd highest peak in Raukumaras]. A great mini mountain with subalpine plants. An hour up and a young fellow twisted his leg, fell a distance down the mountain, and landed in a screaming heap in front of his mum who was bringing up the rear. She noticed his knee was at a weird angle, and quick as a wink, reduced the dislocation. Impressive! We got a tubular bandage on before it swelled too much, gave him some drugs and managed to get him down. Worst part was the 5hr wait in ED!
Got sunburnt and turned back by 'the wrong sort of snow'. Attempted a loop over the Sawtooth via Pourangaki Peak and Iron Peg from the ke;lly Knight roadend. But was defeated by the section between Te Hekenga and Taumataomekura. A nasty 15m section where the ridgeline has slipped on both sides, and you're forced to drop onto a steep tussock face and sidle. Trouble is there was about 1" of wet snow on top of long flattened tussock, and the result was lethal. Can't kick in because not enough snow, ground too hard in places to get a good purchase with the ice-axe, and even clearing the snow off, the result was trecherous. The alternative was to drop 100m down snow chutes and sidle the steep face below, which at least had good snow depth, but by this time knees were wobbling enough to opt for plan b: Triangle Hut. Sunday was then a valley hop Triangle Hut -> Pouragnaki Hut -> Purity Hut: almost 2000m climb all up. But 2 new (to me) huts, and both in great, warm, north-facing valley locations. A great trip. Just wish I'd taken the sunhat as well as the ice-axe!
Hopefully the snow will have cleared a little more by the weekend after next?
Imagine it'll be passable by now. Was melting fast. You planning a trip?
Time to get back into the Ruahines now that winter has passed dont know that I want to punnish myself quite as much as your circuit but I need to get a few kms in before the knees give out and a warm up before a northern tararua crossing in jan. Two options purity-kelly knight circuit or an easy wander in to top maropea with a quick climb of te atuoparapara havent been to top maropea yet and i can hear the lamb burgers at the tikokino pub calling.
On a related topic, can anyone suggest the nice pubs and other stops around the Ruahines? Two that come to mind, both on the western side, are in Apiti and Kimbolton.
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by pennystove
On 25 October 2010
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown