Kaweka Forest Park
The Kaweka Main Range - a NS traverse
Track • 5 – 10 days. Easy/medium. One way.
A Kaimanawa-Kaweka traverse from Rangataiki to the Gentle Annie (Napier-Taihape) summit. 5-10 days of good track-tramping through the beech & manuka forest, vividly coloured sub-alpine ridges an...
Circumnavigating the Kiwi
Track • 4 – 5 days. Medium. Loop track.
About a 4 day trip in the Kaweka Forest Park. I called it this because the route travels around the watershed of the Kiwi Stream. We took a leisurely 5 days to complete this trip, though 4 would be...
Kuripapango to Poronui
Track • 5 – 6 days. Medium/hard. One way.
This 5 day walk goes from the Southern Kawekas up over Mt Meany and through the Harkness Valley to the South Western corner of Kaimanawas. Wouldn't have rated it so difficult if the bush bashing wa...
Ballard Hut Loop
Track • 2 days. Medium. Loop track.
A two day walk including open tops and Beach forest to visit a pleasant hut in the Kaweka forest park.
Iron Whare from Whittle Rd
Track • Medium. One way.
An alternative access to Iron Whare Hut. A marked and roughly cut route runs from the reservoir ('fire dam' on older maps) by pt1083 on Whittle Rd to Iron Whare. This allows a loop via Iron W...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.