Bedroll Placement

hey guys a few of my mates are newbies and want to know where the best place to have your bed roll is? inside the pack or on the outside?
Is that a large closed cell foam one? They're easy to strap on the outside and don't soak up water. However, in rough conditions they leave little pieces of coloured foam behind on the track which lasts forever and annoys me no end. :-)
How important is the bedroll to you? If you get to your destination and its gone or damaged, will it matter much? Does it matter if it gets wet or you leave pieces behind? Is it an important part of your good nights sleep? Answer these questions and you'll know the answer to your question.
I think it is best to have everything inside the pack. That way you don't get things damaged, wet or just tangled in the bush. That's one of the reasons I like a big pack.
Inside for me, though I usually have an air mattress that packs down well... which is the point because I want to store it inside rather than risk losing it.
I would have always said to put everything inside but many of those that have to ask are those that have the more affordable and bulkier foam models. It is unfortunate to have so many foam pieces in the bush due to the need for people to progress their thinking. There is however a good argument to have the foam models in an environment where sharp things could puncture a self inflating model. Many alpine climbers will agree.
It'd depend on where you go, too, of course. There are plenty of places where you might just be walking down a wide valley with little or nothing to get caught on. Despite the chance of losing things attached to the outside, many people store foam mats and other things outside, and it works for them. For anything off-track I'd definitely suggest trying to get it in, but if you're newbies this probably isn't an issue.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by kieranpalmer
On 27 April 2010
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown