zip corrosion on pack

I’ve had a 7 litre macpac amp 12 pack for a couple of yers, use it for half day walks in good weather if I’m not going far I found the pocket zips were getting very stiff, I found corrosion on them, the main compartment zip is a brown coloured metal and ok, the picket zips are a normal steel colour. I sent it to macpac to look at, they wont cover under warranty, and I have to pay to have it shipped back to me, or $40 for new zips which will corrode again. I’ve never had it covered in salt spray and dry it thoroughly on the odd occasion it gets wet. I’d have expected a metter material in the zips to resist corrosion, I have other brands of packs I’ve had more use out of and no issues with zip corrosion
28 comments
11–20 of 28

Macpac have a workshop in Christchurch hence why faulty products are sent there.
@dodgydave " Macpac have a workshop in Christchurch hence why faulty products are sent there." yup but the issue is why should someone returning faulty gear to where they purchased it elsewhere in the country have to pay for shipping the faulty gear if its not covered by warranty macpac were black and white, if warranty covers it, i'll get charged for nothing, if warranty doesnt cover it, they'll charge me for everything including return shipping.
Think you'll find all warrrentys are like that wayno. Whitewear ones are. Vodafine/telstraclear ones are. Spark landlines are. .If We find no fault ir the fault is not ours well charge you freight / travel plus time plus repair costs. Not good. But pretty standard
makes you wary when you are having to rely on the seller to send products to the other end of the country to get repaired, salomon footwear goes down to oamaru i believe...
@waynowski I know they have since agreed to replace it, but when you dropped it off to them, did they advise that you would have to pay to have it returned if the claim was not accepted?
@ scottie. no mention at all.
@waynowski Then they can't really expect you to pay to have it returned if they didn't advise this was the case up front. Also, from their website http://www.macpac.co.nz/support/warranty/ Q: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO SEE THE PRODUCT IN PERSON TO BE ABLE TO ASSESS IT? A: Our Christchurch based Repairs team are experts in assessing damage and faults. On the rare occasion that an issue should arise with your Macpac product, they are the people best equipped to make a recommendation on how to address it and resolve it quickly. While our store managers can make an assessment on simple problems, we prefer to have our Repairs department review all claims so that each is treated fairly and consistently. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause with you being without the gear for a period of time while it is assessed, but it helps us to ensure that you receive the best possible treatment and end result. There isn't even a mention on here advising you would be liable for the return post. My opinion on this (based on what I would expect for good customer service) is that since they want everything sent to their team in Christchurch for assessment, they should be covering the cost of returning it even if the claim is not allowed.
their repairs dept said it wasnt covered by warranty. i was told on the phone they decided to get their product development staff to look at it after i contested the decision of their repairs dept, and the product dev staff were the ones who reversed the decision and said it was a warranty issue and they would replace the pack for a new one..
Good stuff following up on it. Funny when stuff like that gets reversed.
I guess retailers shouldn't necessarily be bound forever by a manufacturers' warranty, as long as they guarantee it themselves for a reasonable advertised period (a year or whatever). But the combined distribution/retail model of Macpac and a few others makes this a bit weird. What they should really advertise is that the warranty's good (and free) for a year or two, because the purchase agreement's with the retailer and it definitely should be, and after that it's still good for repair/replace if there's a fault, but you might have to pay something for assessment. I'd be interested to know how much money is involved in requiring customers to pay if no reasonable fault is found. @Scottie: "My opinion on this (based on what I would expect for good customer service) is that since they want everything sent to their team in Christchurch for assessment, they should be covering the cost of returning it even if the claim is not allowed." I wonder how much this mailing-back-and-forth mess could be reduced by running a few Skype sessions with the retail outlets. I'm sure it wouldn't let them answer everything, but there must be some things that can be ironed out.
11–20 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 29 August 2016
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown