Planning a trip to NZ in late february/march 2017

Hi! I`m the new guy ;) I`m 41 years old and from Germany. I`m currently planning a trip to NZ. Maybe you have some ideas for me, on what to change, or what to add. Here`s my idea: I`m planning to fly from Hamburg to Auckland on 18.02.2017, and I will arrive there on 20.02.2017. I will stay in Auckland for 2 days, to do some sightseeing, and to organize some things, like gas tank for the cooker, maybe a tent,if I don`t bring my own, sunscreen, insect repellent. I want to get the Intercity Flexipass with 60 hours, and stay on campsites, except in the bigger cities, as the campsites are too far away from the city centre. I will not rent a car, as it is too expensive. Also, I want to travel by bus,and meet fellow backpackers. I want to go to: - Paihia ( do the Eco Dolphin Cruise and visit Cape Reinga) - Coromandel ( take a trip with the Town Driving Creek Railway and maybe the glass bottom boat at Whitianga) - Rotorua ( discover the area, maybe take a trip to Waitomo and do the blackwater rafting, and I really must try Zorbing!) - Taupo ( cruise the lake) - Wellington ( do some sightseeing) - Picton ( Do the delivery cruise) - Nelson ( discover the Abel Tasman Coast by boat and walk) - Franz Josef ( maybe do a walk on the glacier) - Queenstown ( do some sightseeing, ride a jet boat, cruise on the Milford Sound, cruise on the Doubtful Sound, maybe visit the Glow Worm Caves in Te Anau) Then fly to Auckland on the 21.03. in the morning, and back home in the evening. How much, do you think, will I have to spend on food and beverages, if I mostly cook for myself, using the gas cooker?
48 comments
11–20 of 48

Lol I love you, really, Wayno. You're the voice of reason and caution on these forums even if you overdo the glass is half empty at times. Gizmo, the Kepler was my very first ever tramp. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I lived to tell the tale. Umpteen million tourists come to NZ every year, a sizeable percentage go tramping, half a dozen kill themselves in our hills (the Czech couple has just happened), and every time it does a lot of kiwis lose their minds over it. Personally I encourage tourists to get out there and do it, just do it wisely as Wayno is saying ;)
w're getting more nd more issues with people on great walk, i've spent a lot of time watching people on the great walks be very lucky they didnt get severe hypothermia, juset because you scrape through on a trip doesnt make it right or a good thing to be doing, don't start with the kepler for tramping, get experience somewhere easier. i've been on the kepler several times and the weather is very hit and miss. we've juset had the fourth death on the routeburn, a few years back one on teh milford track, numerous rescues all over the place. me and a lot of my mates did stupid things in the outdoors whee we were young, we;re lucky to be alive, i've been saved by a helicopter and others at times. be sensible, son't be a statistic
One issue with the great walks is that the booking system forces people to walk it in less then desirable conditions (or wait a whole year to try again, and probably lose hut fees). Most tramps, if the forecast is bad, it is possible to wait a few days for better and safer conditions. But the great walks do not offer that luxury.
I think @waynowski's best point is "be sensible, don't be a statistic" I wouldn't say outright don't do the Kepler but I would say if you do consider it your need to be prepared and be willing to make the safe decisions if the weather/track conditions demand it. Check forecasts, talk to local DOC to get an idea of what to expect, make sure you have sufficient clothing, first aid kit, food, shelter and everything else you should always carry in to any alpine area. Leave your intentions with a contact either in NZ or back home who can raise the alarm if you do not arrive out. Do some easier tracks first as you make your way down the country to get an idea of your capabilities and what tramping in NZ is like. The Kepler is achievable safely by anyone of reasonable fitness who is well prepared and willing to exercise common sense when required.
i think the kepler is a mistake for a great walk, it's so exposed and the weather often so bad even in summer, the great walks are now attracting tourists who dont read all the info about whats required,, last time i was up there, there was an aussie with only jeans, no shorts, no wet weather gear because he didnt think he'd need it in summer because where he comes from it never rains in summer and how much different could NZ be?. and there was a heavy mist blowing , saturating everything. i've been in full storm gear up there in summer several times watching people freaking out.
Yeah, you go into mountains and sometimes it's cloudy. I had blue skies on my trips to the Kepler. How many tropical cyclones does the top half of the north island get these days? Better not go to Paihia, you might get flooded out! If we all stayed in bed just because there's a chance of bad weather where we want to go then none of us would go tramping.
1 deleted post from waynowski
Gizmo said he wanted to go to Paihia.....
I think the Kepler would be a fine walk for you to do. The Kepler is walked by over 10,000 people every year and the vast majority complete the track without any problems. Several people died last year on the Kepler when they walked it in winter because of an avalanche. If you go in February there will be very little avalanche risk. If you have reasonable fitness, bring the correct gear and take a PLB then there is no reason why you couldn't do the track.
reading what gizmo has written he is traditionally a camper wanting to do a mroe touristy holiday, possibly not realising what this forum is about. , he was after camping and general tourist travel info about nz information. but has now quickly changed his mind to include tramps which he doesn't seem to have experience in.. without knowing even his fitness or health, i would be cautious in advising anyone on undertaking anything other than easy day walks around NZ. if he hasnt undertaken a reasonable amount of fitness I would advise he consults with a doctor and a trainer about his fitness before even contemplating tramping and spending money on the gear requited. its not adviseable to send anyone middle aged on a lot of the tramps in our country without preparing their fitness in advance to a reasonable level, its easy for young people who have been fit most of their lives not to think about these issues. as i said i've seen people on great walks who just arent prepared and its not a pleasant experience for them at all
@Gizmo you've done the right thing to ask for advice on this forum. No doubt you've been researching each of those walks to build a complete picture so you'll be prepared as you can be. And make us proud in the process! We can be a grumpy lot so don't take much notice of this. They are all genuine trampers who just want you to have a great time and come out of it intact. The best way to understand the NZ terrain is to get familiar with NZ topomaps. They are by far the best way to 'see' what's there, before you go. Also, if you want to know distances/altitude gain, use a resource like 'mapometer' to plot your routes. And Flickr has a lot of photos of places you're likely to visit so run a search to locate them. It helps to build a bigger picture of what to expect. You wont see many photos of people in bad weather because most put their cameras away. But as you have read, the weather plays a big part in this country. There is a song written by the NZ band Crowded House called "Four Seasons in One Day". Sums it up! Tramper.nz is full of information. DOC also. Self-sufficiency is the key to success. Good luck.
11–20 of 48

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Gizmo
On 22 August 2016
Replies 47
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown