Advice for taking dog tramping for his first time

1–10 of 13

I guess if you're worried about the cold now is probably not the best time to be taking him for his first overnight trip. Maybe better to wait until summer? (Not that it's been exactly freezing so far this autumn!) Some huts do have dog boxes/kennels if he needed some shelter.
But don't forget dogs are not allowed in Nat Parks and for other parks you need a permit from DoC. You've possibly got that sussed anyway.
what sort of dog is it Also think about forest park rules re dogs and also kiwi proofing the dog?
Your from welly so i imagine your going tramping in the tararua? My dog gilly has been to almost every hut in the tararua and her five month pup rascal is well on his way too. The Tararua is one of the best places to take dogs as it is one of the only places where you are allowed them still. Nearly every hut in the tararua has a dog kennel. Though if I have the hut to myself which is common at this time of the year i let her sleep near the fireplace or at least by the hut door. Shock horror. Dogs are bloody tough. She tramps quite regularly through deep snow without batting an eyelid. Rivers too. On exposed spots she has slept in tussock clumps during the coldest months without any problems. She slept next to a frozen tarn on top of mid king once. Just take the dog on a day hike to the top of holdsworth or mt Marchant or something to see how your dog goes.
The missus worries about my collie LD getting cold when we go tramping but as gaiters says they're tough creatures. That said LD sleeps with me - at my feet - most nights were in the bush - in the hut if I'm alone or both of us in the tent if the hut is busy. She's bagged just shy of 280 huts so far, and wss 27th on hutbagger last I checked! If a hut is mostly empty i ask anyone present if they mind the dog coming in. And later on say to them 'let me know if she's anoying you so i can put her outside'. BUT - when I tell her 'on your bed' and she goes and curls up on my jersey, stays there, stays quiet. Ive met many others who've put in the effort to train their dogs and who do likewise. I've also met people with dogs that won't do that at huts and the vast majority are considerate enough to tie them up well away from the hut. Likewise dogs that bark, snarl, harrass others do not belong in the bush until you've put in the offort and trained them. Oops. That turned into a rant
Ive run into dogs a couple of times in huts and generally they are not that much of an issue but not always. Biggest problem often when they are around people they dont know is they want to see whats going on and in a full hut can get in the way. If people are cooking that can be dangerous. The dog that sticks in my mind most though was at Waitawaiwai. Owner said it would bark all night if left outside so we grudgingly let it stay inside. About every hour on the hour it got up and wandered round inside the hut with its claws going tap tap tap as it went. Im a light sleeper
Have to say I never slept in a hut where the dog had to sleep outside. I adore dogs and one time had a little foxie/jack russell sleep on my bunk because his owner was sleeping up in the loft so it was impractical for the little mutt. Last time a dog shared the hut, I noticed the claws clacking on the floor too. The dog was a wee bit restless and went from 'mother' to 'father' quite a bit.
1 deleted post from [Deleted]
Stay away from the big huts. i.e. Powell, totara flats etc and you should be fine with your dog in the huts.
" Im trying to figure out if it is a big deal for him to sleep in the huts, hes a very obedient dog and listens well. " Personally I don't really care as long as the dog's well behaved and not in the way. But be prepared for other hut users who mightn't think this way. If someone wants the dog outside, they have the DOC's rules on their side. "Dogs are not allowed inside any DOC hut or lodge. In some cases there may be a kennel beside the hut. If this is not the case, please find somewhere suitable outside the hut to tie your dog." http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/know-before-you-go/dog-access/where-can-i-take-my-dog/
personally i wouldnt take the risk in the colder months, although people may have more pity on the dog in bad weather if its quiet. you just need one red neck who won't tolerate a dog inside, to make life difficult
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by [Deleted]
On 12 May 2016
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown