Haystack biv

1–10 of 21

This thread branched from "perception of track difficulty" on . Explore the branch.

Can anyone tell me if hatstack (hunter's) biv does or does not still exist? Hut book comments at Hurricane were confusing, to say the least.
I only have data on Haystack hut, a couple of kilometres north of the Haystack. It has been removed. Hutbagger confirms this.
Yes. But @hellmission / phil visited it in 2011 at which point doc were already claiming it had been removed ! On a hutbagging tangent that was phil/@hellmission's 399th hut and going by his profile he would have been 20 at most. He must be getting close to 500 huts by now. Reckon he would be the youngest to hit that mark?
Does anyone have the map location for the Biv, considering another trip to that region and might have time to search for it.
Clearly visible on Google Earth, Image date 9/20/2011 Also visible on Bing Maps, at I think DEC/2013.
Just goes to show you can't believe some people (and organisations)...I'll let hutbagger know. Hope it wasn't me who told them in the first place!
I haven't checked out your refs militaris but are people saying that there is currently a biv/shelter at the old Haystack Hut site or are they talking of a different spot? When at Larrikins Hut in March there were hut book entries of people having headed to a Haystack Bivvy/Shelter more recently than the DOC info saying Haystack Hut had been removed. I think "Ledge" from this site was amongst them so perhaps he or someone else from up that way can clarify if a Haystack Biv/Shelter is still there and where.
I found a map which had the 'Haystack Hut' marked on it, so checked that location on Google Earth ect. My Refs show what appears to be a shelter at the location of Haystack Hut at the stated dates. So according to the images I have viewed, there appears to be a shelter there during December 2013. I have not visited the area myself, so it could have since been removed, or what appears to be a shelter might not be.
Latitude: 41°32'9.05"S Longitude: 172°20'21.54"E
Thanks militaris. So on the same site and quite possibly still there! I was actually considering having a look at the old Haystack Hut site as a day trip from Larrikins when I was in the area. However it didn't happen as the wx clagged in over that way whilst I was high up on the Haystack so I turned around and headed over to the Needle, which was clear of cloud, instead. After that I descended to the Hundred Acre Plateau where I had a mosey around before returning to Larrikins Hut.
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by madpom
On 4 May 2016
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown