Haystack biv

Can anyone tell me if hatstack (hunter's) biv does or does not still exist? Hut book comments at Hurricane were confusing, to say the least.
21 comments
11–20 of 21

I was not really aware of it when I was up there, was not on any of my maps. I am so tempted to zoom up there one weekend and check it out, doable over summer I think, maybe not this time of year. Plus I want to check out Hurricane hut and Mt Misery while in the area... Need three whole days to be enjoyable. It would be good to have a map which shows all the 'abandoned' tracks and huts. I normally only find out about them when looking at old maps still on display in huts. Saw one which runs from the Summit of Purple top down the ridgeline to just downstream of Mid Goulter Hut. Managed to find the start of it the next day.
Its there on older topomaps. Both the last 1 inch map and the first 260 series maps show it ... in different places! http://mapspast.org.nz/?zoom=14&x=1545875&y=5401609&layerid=NZMS1%201979 http://mapspast.org.nz/?zoom=13&x=1545063&y=5400848&layerid=NZMS1%2F260%201989
Never knew mappast.org.nz even existed, quite the interesting site. Some of the old maps have interesting descriptions which have been lost from the more modern ones.
Fran McNamara from LINZ has invited Permolat members to contact her with the data on existing tracks that have recently been dropped off the topomaps by LINZ. Her email address is fmcnamara(at)(her workplace acronym as above).govt.(our country) She has accepted Andrew Buglass's data on tracks and will reinstate the Otehake NZFS track up to Big Tops plus the new extension down into the Koropuku that Frank and I created a couple of years ago after this track, which at that point didn't exist, appeared on a map! Awesome news.
I notice that Sandfly Stream track is not on the current topos but the track physically still exists. Bit overgrown in places, and some windfall makes it a bit tricky. Been many years since DOC maintained it, but there has been some unofficial upkeep. Oooo, notice there use to be a track up the Hellfire stream,only a small section of track still appears on the 2009 map. With a name like that, I am going to check it out :D Both Hellfire track and Sandfly track were on the 1989 maps, but not the newer ones. (Both in Raglan Range).
I've had a poke around the "mapspast" site earlier this am and it's going to be useful for a bit of research and a place to while away time on wet days. I already have paper map versions of much of Westland from the 1 Mile Series of the 1940's thru to the 260 series of the 2000's. A beauty of "mapspast" however is that you can pick a geographic area you are interested in and quickly change the base maps to see when names, huts, tracks etc changed on the maps. Looking at the latest Topo 50's I see one track a friend and I cut is now shown. Neither of us gave the details to LINZ so some one else must have. I'm pleased it's there. Perhaps they got the data off this site?
@glennj; I think it may have been Andrew Buglass. Is that the Turiwhate track or the new one down from Mt Brown to the Styx?
@Honora; I was referring to the new bit of Styx - Mt Brown track that Alan Jemison & I cut. I see both of the Mt Brown tracks are in their "rerouted" positions on the latest Topo 50. Maybe it was Andrew that gave that info to LINZ? I put the info on here and also shared it with Andrew/Permolat. All good anyway; I'm pleased they are now on Topo50. "My" Turiwhate track isn't on Topo 50 but I let Fran know that if it isn't amongst the dump of tracks that Andrew supplied that I can give details if LINZ wants it.
On the 1979 / 1989 maps there is a dotted line (series of six dots) following the ridge line above the Milford Track. The Dots start at point 5510 above Clinton Hut, then follow the ridge over Mt Fisher ... My Mackenzie ...... before eventually ending at Bell Point. Any idea what it is marking?
@militaris. My guess : boundary of the Glaisnock Wilderness Area. It's a boundary of some sort anyway with 'inside' to the south, indicated by grey shadowing beside the dots
11–20 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by madpom
On 4 May 2016
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown