Any boot suggestions for wide feet?

This thread branched from "Boot soles coming off - always carry string!" on . Explore the branch.

My problem is I have short, wide feet with a very high instep. (Strangely my wife has the same problem!) The Asolo 535s come in a 'Wide Fit' which means they fit me, and her, very well. Better than any other boot we could find but, since the de-soling episode, now I have to replace them. Anyone else got suggestions for a wide fit?
Skellerup Bullers have been my choice of tread for general tramping for 30+ years. I usually need to butcher them a bit with a knife for a more customised comfortable fit. But they are cheap and will last longer than a $300+ of Euro styled leathers....
Meindl Island Pro in wide fit - best boots I've ever owned by a large margin, and I didn't have to take to them with a knife :-)
Ive just bought asolos and your starting to worry me
geeves - I'm thinking I may well be buying the same Asolos again. I realise that our boots were 7 years old and maybe that's the only reason the soles are coming off. (In the good old days of sewn on soles they would last for ever!) They are very comfortable and in all other respects have been great boots. Mind you, we are not hard core, off-track trampers! lol BTW I just weighed my size 8.5 - 535s and find them at 973 gms each in a dry spell of weather. They claim, these days, 720g which either means they have reduced the weight/quality, or they kiln dried them first, or its BS! My old Makalus are 1.4 kg each! No wonder they slow me down. My light weight summer Salomons are 560g each.
hutchk - in a previous post you wrote:- "This thread raised my curiosity so I chucked the Meindls on the kitchen scales - just over 2KG for the pair, bone dry. " which is only a wee bit heavier than my Asolos. The official weight of the current Meindle Island MFS Active Wide Fit, is 1760g per pair (880 ea). Seems like these might be worth my while looking at instead of the Asolos.
A kilo each boot. Golly, just imagine what they weigh after a river crossing and full of water wearing wool socks! My Scarpa Mythos weigh 730g each and they feel heavy if there's any dampness in them. And they're too hot in temps over 20 deg due to the leather and goretex membrane. So I got some Salewas on sale which are still leather but sport a wide nylon fabric tongue which should allow better breathability. They weigh 200g each less per boot which my feet will appreciate though I wouldn't imagine they will last as long as the Scarpas. The Mythos boot isn't a wide boot but after some time in the water they've widened nicely in the toe area and are superbly comfortable now. Back to those Asolos. I would be arguing for a warranty claim if the soles are hardly worn but 70-80 days @ 20km a day average = 1600km, that may be pushing it under the CGA. Soles tend to be the deal-breaker and they have to be in pretty good condition to convince the importer the boots are faulty rather than just worn out. What model Asolo were they?
@deepriver - if you don't mind a heavier boot they're certainly worth a look. I also have a pair of Salewas for less intense stuff, but if I know I'm in for big days I'll take the Meindls every time - my feet end the day in much better shape.
JETNZ - Asolo 535 wide. No point in complaining about the boots after 7 years, I agree. Oh I remember those long ago days when I could average 20km a day! Just managed to average that on the Old Ghost Road last week, but it is all graded to 5ยบ or less. Kahurangi and Nelson Lakes terrain is not conducive to 20km/day, well, not for this pensioner anyway! lol

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by deepriver
On 27 November 2015
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown