Temp. rating recommendations

This thread branched from "Suggestions about sleeping bags" on . Explore the branch.

Hey, This talk on sleeping bags got me wondering, what temp rating does everyone use if you are tramping during the summer and/or expecting to stay in huts? My husband needs a new bag so I am asking before I buy.
Mid summer low level stuff I take an old Fairydown +5 bag as it's nice and light and I can always chuck my polyprops on if it gets chilly. Spring/Autumn or above the bushline in Summer I've got a -7 that works well. I don't stay in huts much, but when I do I usually take a cotton liner and and sleep in that with a light bag as a duvet. I tend to overheat in a bag if temps stay over 10 degrees or so overnight (I sleep hot).
About the same, a light Macpac down bag they called a liner. Don't see it in their webstore this month ?. Usually a matter of how little I wear inside it & whether I have the zip up or down. Temperatures change thru the night. Even in huts in Summer (Sth Isl anyways).
My three season bag is rated for -2 (lower comfort). So it is good down to a light frost. I supplement it with a down jacket as conditions cool. When it gets to hot in summer I unzip, or simply throw it over top of me. When staying in a non insulated hut in winter I like a bag rated down to around -7 (also supplement with down jacket), if it is a modern hut with a roaring fire then a warmer bag might be sufficient. The little pot belly stoves can not really be relied upon to warm a old hut overnight in cold conditions.
My feet get too hot so I had to adapt a half length zip GoLite Adrenaline 1+ season bag by getting Twin Needle to unpick the bottom seam and replace it with a draw string arrangement I'd seen on a hunter's sleeping bag. It's pretty much a 3 season bag at best, probably down to 4 degrees celcius and rated at this. But with no means to vent my feet, I was never going to use it! Like JETNZ, I'm a cold sleeper. It's a girl thing.
Exped ultralite 300 for huts in the warmer months and weather. Dont know the rating . Around plus six. Thats the lightest bag i have and seldom have to do it up. I have theexped lite 500 for colder weather. Think its ratrd to minus five. If that. Never needed anything warmer although i have a bag thats goodd for minus ten to fifteen. Not sure its extreme rated to minus twenty five i think. Old bag didnt have the other ratings
I have an exped lite 500 (rated to-2, But I feel like it would actually be good to around -5) and I often end up too warm in the warmer months. Tend to take my very slightly heavier and less warm milsurp bag so I don't boil overnight on occasion, and have been known to sleep in just a silk liner in huts such as the pinnacles hut in summer. Nearly always use the exped bag opened out like a quilt with a footbox.
Currently use 3 season Exped Lite 700 which is comfort minus 3. It's been great so far and weighs 1130g. I feel the cold so it's rarely too hot, even in huts. Although the one exception was Waitangi Weekend this year at Casey Hut… Interestingly, the inner shell tends to be static which means it sparks at night which is pretty cool.
Ok, now I have to try mine without a liner and see if it sparks, This seems like it could be fun =)
1 deleted post from Pro-active

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Reverse
On 4 August 2015
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown