Aarn Packs

I need a new pack (Hip belt on the old one is stuffed, and it was never a brilliant pack anyway), so Im currently weighing up my options. Im intrigued by the concept of the aarn range of packs with the front pockets and certianly the science seems sound, and I can see the benefit in gear accessibility. I first heard of them a year or so ago and thought they seemed pretty gimmicky, but now I'm beginning to think otherwise. All the reviews I can find seem overwhelmingly positive. Does anyone have experience with these and would you reccomend them or not? Also, Any negative points in particular would be of interest to me. Cheers
61 comments
51–60 of 61

All the nag needs is some of those sexy shades :-)
Wayno - loved the pic! (BTW how do you put a photo in here? I've tried but just can't figure it out.) Actually mankind has constructed something similar to the horse's nose bag - it's a bag made of plastic and has a tube running around into the owner's mouth! lol Freud would have had a field day!
Just paste the URL for the image in the post.
Having easy access to on-track items is one of life's little luxuries. That some pack manufacturers (Macpac for one) continue to make packs without hip pockets is a mystery to me. Who enjoys the hassle and effort of removing their pack just to get at these things. It's a time waster too in a group situation. And I'm not a fan of filling my short pockets with snacks, sunscreen, gloves etc. Osprey excel at recognising on-trail efficiency in their designs, that's why I have several of their packs. We still use our Macpacs (robust and comfortable clydesdales) so to get around this problem I bought a little zipped pouch for $15 (couldn't make it for that price) and sewed two straps on the back, it slides onto the hip belt and is secured with some velcro to the stabiliser strap d-ring so it doesn't slide off when removing the pack. Seems to work quite well.
@JETNZ Where did you get your pouches from please?
Macpac, they are not on their website however...
@1strider. Hunting & Fishing have a range of cinching pouches. More than what's on their website. http://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/catalogsearch/result/?q=pouches
@1strider - found the link. I can't see how useful it would be as a washbag... http://www.macpac.co.nz/overnight-wash-bag-55899.html
@Pro-active & JETNZ, thankyou both. The H&F pouches are similar to a couple of camera pouches I already have, but their store is just around the corner from Bivouac so I'll have a proper looksee as you say. The Macpac wash-bag looks suitable, similar to an old Kathmandu micro-fibre towel pouch I've never used. Do I understand the description correctly? Does the outside mesh pocket have a solid backing material or does it back onto the internal mesh pocket? I guess what I am trying to say; is the internal main compartment windproof/weather resistant to a reasonable degree or is it designed to ventilate it's contents?
@ !st rider - Snap ! I've got the old Kat-doo MF towel bags too. Use one for my toilet paper-stingose-bug repellent type stuff, kept in a side pouch so I don't have to unpack too much for it. Large zip-lock bag as an inner. TP in yet another smaller zip-lock. They've changed design a little now, but for $18 (super special clearance price) you get the towel as well. The Macpac ones look more substantial. H&F pouches are for ammo & such, so are pretty sturdy & practical. JETNZ adding stay-put velcro is genius !.
51–60 of 61

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Size12
On 2 August 2015
Replies 60
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown