Aarn Packs

I need a new pack (Hip belt on the old one is stuffed, and it was never a brilliant pack anyway), so Im currently weighing up my options. Im intrigued by the concept of the aarn range of packs with the front pockets and certianly the science seems sound, and I can see the benefit in gear accessibility. I first heard of them a year or so ago and thought they seemed pretty gimmicky, but now I'm beginning to think otherwise. All the reviews I can find seem overwhelmingly positive. Does anyone have experience with these and would you reccomend them or not? Also, Any negative points in particular would be of interest to me. Cheers
61 comments
31–40 of 61

I got the standard camera pockets for mine and they come dry bags included. The effortless rhythm is fully dry bagged.
Cheers for the info guys. Im currently cutting down my packweight, but I also have tendency to not bother going for light food for short trips, so I have been known to happily carry 22ish kg. Id have to say Im more regularly around 18 or so and most of that is food and water and my current pack (3.5kg on its own). Recently used my current pack to haul 30ish kg for an hour or so (Very abnormal use. Needed to get some heavyweight gear to a campsite for some mates). Was considering the featherlite freedom particularly as it is shorter than the other options and im not too much a fan of having much pack behind my head (I wear bucket hats, it irks me having the brim rubbing at the back). Ofc, getting the featherlite freedom would pretty much force me to get the expedition pockets to fit all my gear in. Current pack is 60ish litres and Im looking for something a smidge bigger to give me food room for longer trips. Just wanted to know if the featherlite could if needed carry relatively large loads. Im assuming all the others im looking at would as they are 2 stay designs and are a bit heavier built, so presumably have slightly heavier duty suspension systems. Looking at the guiding light (and probably a set of pockets), natural balance (comes w pockets) or the effortless rhythm (Doesnt come with pockets and works out to be the most expensive option if they are purchased). Want to give the whole front pockets thing a go as it seems very useful for what I end up doing, so I would be looking at purchasing a set. Ill have to see if I can get to living simply at the weekend and have a proper look at them. Anyone know if they have weights in store to get a feel for the pack under load?
My third Aarn pack is the FloMo Friend. It's a nice little 22L daypack thingy. I got it for mucking about town or car trips. http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!flowmo-friend/clu0 However I've just noticed I can get some Mountain Ultralite front pockets for it, which add another 12L. That would make a very nice summertime overnighter UL setup weighing around 900gms http://www.aarnpacks.com/#!ultralite-balance-pockets/c1xo6
@Size12, Yes Living Simply can load a pack up. I had them do 3 of the Aarn packs until I finally settled on the effortless rhythm. I was in and out of the place like a yoyo while trying to decide.
Actually went and bought one today. Got it all loaded up and that at living simply and it just felt right. Waaaay better than my other pack ever did, even before it started to die on me. Ended up with the effortless rhythm and a set of pockets. The freedom of movement the harness system gives you is insane. Hopefully I can get out for a trip soonish with a full load and see how it goes!
Yah ... maybe the guys at Living Simply owe us a small cut :-) You'll find the Aarn's are a bit like the step up from a point and shoot camera - to an interchangeable lens format. There is a bit more to pay attention to in order to get the best out out of them, but far more rewarding when you do. Happy tramping mate!
Yeah. Got it fitted and that at living simply but Im sure Ill have to fiddle with a few adjustments to get it fully dialed in. Have to relearn my packing system as well. Now all I need is a trip to try it on haha. Got about 3 on the cards but two of them are end of year and the nearest is over a month out. Im sure I will have some happy tramping! Thanks for your feedback and all that guys, it's really been appreciated!
Well done, size12. There's nothing quite like the zealotry of a convert - give us an update after the first tramp :)
Im enthusiastic at the moment. The zeal will come later no.doubt. I will update if I remember Fter next trip.
Went for a 40min walk with pack fully loaded today. Interesting. No shoulder pain and the freedom of movement was nice. Havent managed to get the hipbelt quite right though, Might have to pop into living simply and get them to have a look. Certainly seems like a promising pack though! Its bloody massive with the expedition pockets on the front. If I ever need all the space in it Ive done something horribly wrong I feel (Or Ive ended up carrying someone elses stuff)
31–40 of 61

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Size12
On 2 August 2015
Replies 60
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown