Ultralight Tents

1–10 of 16

Hi everyone! I am wondering if anyone has an ultralight tent that they can recommend me. I have been doing a bit of research but am a bit overwhelmed with all the options. None seem to fit the bill exactly. Plus they are expensive so I need to weigh up cost/weight/durability and the fact that it won't be regularly used. I am a petite female (about 160cm tall) and I do a bit of tramping on my own. Generally I go to huts on well established routes, but I want to be able to carry a shelter for a) if I don't make it to the hut for whatever reason or b) I find myself in an emergency situation. I'm unlikely to regularly use a tent but because there will be the occasional deliberate tenting experience, I have ruled out a bivvy bag. I'm not keen on carrying just a fly and would prefer a small tent. Ideally around 1kg mark. My concerns around the ultralights are the durability. Also, what are people's opinions of the freestanding tents? I am a Wellingtonian so wind is pretty much always going to be an issue! If anyone can solve my dilemma with the ideal tent that doesn't cost me my firstborn I would really like to hear your comments!
I had Terra Nova Lazer Competition, single person. eight about 850 grams. Replaced it with a TerraNova Photon 2 person, weight 980 grams. bit more room, I am 6'5''. got both from the USA. Both have been ok in wind conditions on the tops http://www.moontrail.com/terra-nova-laser-competition-1.php
Thanks, the Laser Competition is probably top of my list at the moment. The seams are not sealed though - has that a been an issue?
What about those Terra Nova knock offs that a few guys on here had? They were designed by them but made by others.. a bit heavier but a lot cheaper. I'm also keen to know about the seam sealing, it does add grams, so I wondered if it was worth it myself too.
^^ That would be the Terra Nova Zephyros 1. NZ supplier seems to be out of stock but you can get one from Amazon for $221 delivered, add another $20 for decent pegs (the supplied ones are useless). At 1.5kg it's still pretty light. I haven't seam sealed mine and haven't had any leak issues.
Zephyros looks good, but not much weight saving on my Macpac Microlight that I have which is about 1.8kg. Feel like spending $500 to save 800g is a huge waste of money though!
@kiwilaurie when you're by yourself, have you tried using your microlight without the inner?
We covered this topic about a couple of months ago, it would be a good idea to find the thread, there was good info on it. I have one of those Terra Nova knock offs it is Luxe Lightwave. Its a bit like the Lazer Competition, about the same weight of fabric but seam sealed and with a heavier floor. 1.2kgs total weight and $250 as opposed to over $700. I was camped next to a Kiwi couple up near Lake Tenneson last year and their Terra Nova and my Luxe looked like twins. I've used it about a dozen times over the last 18 months and it works really well. Its not a free standing tent, but generally that is fine as Im not a big Tops camper. It wouldn't stand up to a big Nor' Wester blow but then so few tents (including those Terra Nova's) will. If I was looking for a free standing tent I would consider those MSR NX tents, Ive heard good things about them and they only weigh 1.2kgs.
Hi Hugh. Yes, I have in the past carried the microlight fly and poles without the inner, but in hindsight I should have taken a groundsheet too which would add to the weight. Also, I hate to admit it, but I am absolutely terrified of spiders and other small creatures (don't ask me why I love tramping so much!!) that the thought of sleeping under just a fly really freaks me out a bit. Even after 3 days solo on Outward Bound under a tarp, I haven't overcome those fears! Obviously I would in an emergency situation but yeah, it's not my preference.
Thanks Bradley1, I haven't looked at either of those so will do so :)
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by kiwilaurie
On 21 May 2015
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown