Most memorable tramping meal

I was talking about a hut roast I partook of on one of the other threads and I got me thinking about memorable tramping meals I have had. I mean food is one of the central tenants of tramping and will often be a topic of conversation especially after the third day as you eat your rice or 2 min noodles. On that occasion we took a beef roast, wine and fixings on a UCTC tramp up the Avoca and had a slap up meal. It was awesome! Do you have a memory of a particular tramping meal that has stuck with you over the years.
49 comments
41–49 of 49

2min noodles aint killed me yet. I refuse to take them tramping though, They just dont feel like a proper meal, and its hard to contest the fact they have stuff all nutritional value.
Just for the record, Angel Hair Spaghetti cooks in two minutes and can be combined with any number of sauces, dried veges etc. I always break it up before cooking. Give me drum wheat pasta over 2 min noodles any day.
I don't reckon there's a more satisfying trail meal than one you've taken the time to dehydrate yourself. I dehydrate and vac-seal my own spag bog, for instance. And I KNOW it's good, because I use all the herbs etc that *I* like. And there's no processed crapola either. Lip-smackin', nutritional goodness! :D
Do you just use a normal dehydrator? I'm scratching my head wondering how much weight loss there is in doing this.. have you ever weighed the before and after? and what does it taste like?? some of those backcountry meals look like poos
Yeah, just a cheap one, although I'm thinking of investing in a good one. You do save on weight and space and meal prep time. I haven't weighed before and after though. As for taste, it rehydrates back to full-flavour spag bol. Not the easiest thing to dehydrate, but by far my fave tramping meal. Not to mention all the great snacks you can make through dehydration. Fruit, jerky, vegie chips, mashed kumara chips with whatever goodness you want inside. Definitely a LOT of prep time at home, but once done, you've a plethora of variety when it comes to cheap, nutritious, delicious meals and snacks. I steer clear of chicken, as it's pretty easy to mess up and get sick from it. But it is doable. Anyway, with a dehydrator, vacuum sealer and a roll of foil, I've got my trail fuel covered.
sweet, I have used them before and yea was just wondering how you did the spag bol (we only used it for fruit and herb..) and if it was actually much lighter/worth it. I don't really get out enough anymore to justify buying one anyway I guess, prob just keep buying packet stuff :/
Fair enough. But to make it you just make your fave spag, drain off any excess fluid, then spread it out on the dehydrator.
Or the good old oven @Kreig, it dries out mince sauces well and you can do bulk amounts on two large trays...
True Jet, but I'm currently living in a tent at my work (yep). No oven. So I still need to get a new dehydrator. :D
41–49 of 49

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 2 April 2015
Replies 48
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown