Most memorable tramping meal

I was talking about a hut roast I partook of on one of the other threads and I got me thinking about memorable tramping meals I have had. I mean food is one of the central tenants of tramping and will often be a topic of conversation especially after the third day as you eat your rice or 2 min noodles. On that occasion we took a beef roast, wine and fixings on a UCTC tramp up the Avoca and had a slap up meal. It was awesome! Do you have a memory of a particular tramping meal that has stuck with you over the years.
49 comments
31–40 of 49

@geeves Any chance of the recipe?
Ill second this!
I will ask him tonight if hes at club but I believe its just a packet mix.
The classic backcountry packet cheesecake. It's made by Edmonds and can be found in the baking aisle of your supermarket next to the packet mix cakes. All you need to add to the packet mix is milk powder (making the milk stronger than normal improves cheesecake setting) and butter for melting and mixing with the biscuit crumb base. Take a wire whisk for superior mixing of the filling Traditionally the cheesecake is made in a frisbee. Another option that is less packet-based is the cheesecake filling found in the chiller section, but that is really only suitable for the first day meal. Another winter pudding I make is a steamed plum pudding with brandy and custard (reusing the Ernest Adams steamed pudding container) 1c self raising flour 1 egg 75g butter 75 g brown suger 2t cinnamon/mixed spice 1/2c raisins/sultanas/citris peel 1t ground ginger (optional) 2T milk powder cream butter and suger together add egg and mix in add dry ingredients and mix together, also add in water (about 1/4 cup) until a cake batter has formed pour into pudding container and cover container with foil, secure the foil down by folding down two opposing corners over the container rim, but leave the other two corners free place container into a large billy and fill billy with water until 2/3rds of the container is submerged bring billy to a low boil and steam pudding for 30-45min remember to check and add water periodically once cooked through tip out onto a plate and top with brandy and custard
How is the chilling of the cheesecake achieved? If in a river how does one keep the water out of the cheesecake? I think Im missing something obvious here.
I've found that there is enough setting agents in the mix that chilling in a river is not necessary. Placing outside covered on a cold night is usually enough.
I did ask last night and its the continental packet plus milk powder not back country. Cooling overnight doesnt work unless you want it for breakfast
You can also get nice little (so not too heavy) squeezy foil pouches of fruit pulp type stuff which makes a good topping for a cheesecake.
JETNZ "curious to know what you mean by "One of the most pernicious forms of "food" available." (2 min noodles)" I can only guess it's due to all the hysteria around MSG.
2min noodles aint killed me yet. I refuse to take them tramping though, They just dont feel like a proper meal, and its hard to contest the fact they have stuff all nutritional value.
31–40 of 49

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 2 April 2015
Replies 48
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown