compressed foam for sleeping mat?

My last walk i slept cold, as well as upgrading my sleeping bag (last wilderness mag makes that choice a little less daunting) i will be taking a mat with me. I scored a compressed foam mat about 8mm thick, have searched for an "R" rating on these but alas cannot find one. It is a little like a yoga mat but way way thicker and denser. Will be sleeping in huts this time but after this walk, will be tenting it. Has anyone ever tried these opposed to the pricey neoAir's etc which seem to have a low r rating?
60 comments
41–50 of 60

well the R rating of the Klymit is a scant 1.7 and barely half of the prolites so I reckon you would find it pretty cold in winter. I'm looking at something like this: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/Therm-A-Rest/Mattresses/Fast-And-Light/NeoAir-XTherm-and-XTherm-MAX/product
sorry its 1.3.. :/
OK so the Neoair weighs light and is warm (R+5.7!). I wonder how it rates for comfort? Never had the pleasure of sleeping on one but from what I hear, it sounds a lot more comfortable than the prolite. 2.5" sounds amazing...
http://www.outdooraction.co.nz/thermarest-neo-air-xtherm.html Impressive stats.......Eye watering prices :)
Honora, the insulated static V is 700g. Not sure where you got 900 from?? I really have never slept on a more comfortable sleeping mat. It packs back into it's bag nicely, I don't slip and slide all over it, and it does seem to insulate from the ground really well. I definitely prefer it over anything Thermarest does so far....
"I definitely prefer it over anything Thermarest does so far...." Just out of interest, which Thermorest mats have you owned/used? and have you used either the Neo-air or the Neo XTherm?? I only ask because I have only had their old school models, which look pretty similar weight and comfort wise as that Klymit mat? I know a few people who have the neo-air (and these are guys who hike for a living) they say its the best you can get, but noisy...
Haven't owned them, but tried them both. Good, but I personally prefer this one. :)
wow you must have nice hookups to lend you those mats to use! :) Was the XTherm any less noisy to sleep on than the standard Neoair? I have been told it is, but wanted to confirm this from someone who has slept on both, so I'm stoked to hear you have!
Oops, Kreig. Have corrected my faulty stat on the weight of the insulated Klymit pad. I've asked a mate to ask her son if I can borrow his standard Neoair to try it out. I'm a bit sick of sleeping on my Prolite on the ground. The days when I slept for 4 months on a concrete balcony on what was the thickness of a tatami mat in Istanbul are long gone... If I'm impressed, I'll buy the women's version as it is shorter so it is lighter. I can throw the wet wx gear down under my tootsies as they're the warmest part of me.
A couple of weeks ago I purchased the NeoAir XTherm Max Large 640g. Age demands a little more comfort and insulation. I sleep hot (very hot according to my wife, who claims only needing to be within radiation zone to be warm) hence I tend to use the sleeping bag more like a quilt. Not only because of being hot but it gives greater freedom of movement as a side sleeper. Sleeping on my back results in an elbow in my ribs. Haven't actually tired it out in the field yet. But general configuration that I have tested at home involves slipping NeoAir into my large silk liner, this has enough material left over to enable it to be tied at the end thus preventing slippage. Works a bit like a sheet on a bed which I lay on and slip the open sleeping bag on top. I also pull the zip on the sleeping bag up about a quarter of the way and slide mat with liner into bag. Thus I am able to move in whatever direction I care to without feeling too enclosed. I have inflated the mat fully and lain on it, twisted and turned, assumed various sleeping positions etc. Fully inflated there is some small amount of noise, some of the doc provided mattress's are far noisier. Found fully inflated it was possible to roll off. Let a little air out, which also improved the comfort for me, it became somewhat self centering. That is, if I rolled a fraction left or right the body tended to flow back into the middle rather than roll off the edge. With the silk liner on the crinkle crackle sound almost disappears ( the wife says that is simply my defective hearing), well the liner does muffle things. Can't comment on the thermal insulation factor as yet, looking for a hammock now so that should prove a good test for insulation properties.
41–50 of 60

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by trooper
On 24 March 2015
Replies 59
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown