compressed foam for sleeping mat?

1–10 of 60

My last walk i slept cold, as well as upgrading my sleeping bag (last wilderness mag makes that choice a little less daunting) i will be taking a mat with me. I scored a compressed foam mat about 8mm thick, have searched for an "R" rating on these but alas cannot find one. It is a little like a yoga mat but way way thicker and denser. Will be sleeping in huts this time but after this walk, will be tenting it. Has anyone ever tried these opposed to the pricey neoAir's etc which seem to have a low r rating?
Yeah, but have moved on. Warm alright, but bulky. Could sell you my 2.5cm Theramarest (fits into a bread bag) cos I now use the inflatable tubes. Even less bulk for way better comfort. A groundsheet might help with warmth ?.
If i ate more pies it would help with the warmth, i dont have alot of flesh to keep my bones insulated. mm yes its a little bulky but not too much, will think bout the thermarest thou. im dropping my carry weight as well, next walk is a 10 day with only two of us to share the food. mmm...
Sleep is one of those things that can make a big difference to your whole outdoor experience. Getting tired from a hard day out is a given but if you don’t sleep well then your energy will deplete, especially on multi-day tramps. We’ve all slept on foam mats (and worse) over the years but they just don’t rate anymore IMO. You’d be surprised how much body heat you lose to the ground, even in summer, and you can supplement your insulation by lying on bits of clothing, ropes, empty pack etc but most trampers or mountaineers only do that for short stints. I know I’m getting old but I just can’t be bothered not sleeping well anymore. I used to take my short Thermarest 2.5, which is ok, but a couple of years ago I bought an Exped SIM comfort 5 when Bivouac were having a 50% sale (normally $149) Sure it weighs a little bit more but it’s worth it and it’s great on snow in winter. Save your pennies, wait for a sale and get an expanding foam mattress (2.5 at the bare minimum) I'm already eyeing up some of the later down/air pads but can't quite justify the price just yet:)
The EVA mats the warehouse sell might be much the same thing but I cant sleep on them any more. Certainly warm enough but 55 years and a dodgy back and they are like sleeping on rocks. Snow foam has been around for a long time. First one I saw the owner had imported from USA for about $20 in the mid 70s It had a shiney surface and only came in white. The rest of us slept on dry ferns. Dont think you will find an r rating on your snow foam but it is enough for most conditions The inflatables are great although unless you get the expensive exped down versions etc the r ratings are only 2-3 season use. still a 50mm thick mattress at 300g is worth it
If you sleep on your side on the 2.5cm Thermarest, you bottom out. Sleep on your back, you'll be the talk of your group forever (snoring). Thicker (air) tubes was the answer for me. They're not that dear for what they give. You can always throw your coat over yourself ?. Jersey over your face if that's a problem ?. Otherwise, a simple ground sheet will make a difference. Just did an 8-day & lost weight. Closed cell foam pad are really good insulation for sleeping on. It's just their packing bulk.
I have an Exped Synmat UL9 - very comfy, R value of 6, rated down to -25 °C. Weighs in at 800g but I'm happy to pay the weight penalty for a decent night's sleep (I'm a side sleeper and anything thinner has me waking up every 30 minutes with a dead arm...)
I've been looking - hard! - for the right gear for my tramp on the TAT. The one thing (probably like most of us) that either kills me or gives me oompf, is whether I had a bad/good night's sleep. I'm a bit of a restless sleeper. Compressed foam (those cheaper ones) just plain suck arse. Not a whole lot of insulation, and bulky. Really bulky. Sure, they're light and cheap, but the one thing I truly need is a decent sleep. I don't even need a LONG sleep; just a sound one. I've looked at all the big brands - Thermarest obviously being the biggest. I've looked at their super light z lites, but the compressed cells, well, might insulate you, but seriously? I think I'd rather sleep straight on the ground. Their ultra-popular NeoAir Xlite, as good as they might be, they have horizontal baffles. And as a side/restless sleeper, I'll just slide right off the mat. And as for those half-length mats? Pfft! My theory is, shave the grams/ounces/kilos elsewhere, so you can comfortably carry a sleeping system that really works for you. So I've been looking around for a large mat (I'm no skinny-minny), that insulates really well, that I won't slide off of, and won't flatten to the point of me digging in if I'm on my side. And I discovered a mat which purports to tick all the boxes I need. The Klymit Insulated Static V. Ordered one this morning. Nice and big, apparently great insulation (I'll be sleeping in the snow with this puppy), and a rather unique baffles design that seems to keep side sleepers on the mat. About a third of the price of a NeoAir Xlite, it's not uber-cheap, but not break-the-bank expensive either. I paid $127. And weight-wise, at 700g it's not a WHOLE lot more than the Neo large at 460g. Anyway, I'm super keen to get my new mat and take it for a test run. Will let you all know how it performs! :)
"(I'll be sleeping in the snow with this puppy)" heh heh weren't you talking about doing it ultralight shelter wise? You could be in for an epic bro :) I been looking to upgrade from my thermorest UL 3/4 for ages but don't want one of those neo air crinkly things they just make too much noise for my liking. The exped mats look like the go, bit heavier but it sounds like they are popular and a good price too.
that klymit looks like the king of pads. Exped are very good but an arm and leg which does mean you can buy the short one
1–10 of 60

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by trooper
On 24 March 2015
Replies 59
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown