compressed foam for sleeping mat?

My last walk i slept cold, as well as upgrading my sleeping bag (last wilderness mag makes that choice a little less daunting) i will be taking a mat with me. I scored a compressed foam mat about 8mm thick, have searched for an "R" rating on these but alas cannot find one. It is a little like a yoga mat but way way thicker and denser. Will be sleeping in huts this time but after this walk, will be tenting it. Has anyone ever tried these opposed to the pricey neoAir's etc which seem to have a low r rating?
60 comments
51–60 of 60

I use a older model neoair, when they were about to switch to the current model the old ones were discounted 40% which was a more acceptable price. I think it is a great improvement - comfortable, warm (on snow), light and takes up very little room in my pack - what's not to like. Yes it is a bit noisy, but if I have to put up with other peoples snoring they can put up with my crinkly mat. As FrankB said important not to inflate too much, I usually blow mine up (not hard) then let a bit out when I am on it. As a side sleeper if you've got a bit much air in them you can get a sore hip.
thanks for those excellent tips, FrankB and stunted. I have adapted a GoLite sleeping bag which only had a half zip. It now has a drawstring arrangement at the foot which will hopefully be wide enough to stuff a neoair mattress through it.
yea cheers guys! I have been doing a bit of research, it seems the new neo-airs are a bit less crinkly.. I found these on tard me: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=871080850 The R value is not flash but the weight and price are good.. Just don't know if I can justify stumping up for the xterm but it does sound like the business.
I've bought several items from Gearshop. Well worth looking at their range. And its an NZ shop (Nelson)
That listing was for the M mat which if Im reading it right is 119cm long. I know a lot of hikers use short normal thermorests but once you go to the 5cm thick Im not sure having the legs over the end will work quite as well
Man alive, 55 posts about a foam mat. You hikers obviously have little to discuss aye!
someone counted the posts??????
1 deleted post from strider
@Geeves your right, I saw that and noticed the full length regular one is another 100 grams.
oh no actually, correction, the small mat is 119cm but the medium is 168cm :)
oops but still I want more than 168cm
51–60 of 60

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by trooper
On 24 March 2015
Replies 59
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown