Macpac Jacket Hoods

Hello My girlfriend and I both have Macpac tramping jackets, and have both had "issues" with the hood. The main problem is that we get water running in along the sides of the hood, and down the front (inside) of the jacket in decent rain. We have discussed it with Macpac but have not come up with a solution. Has anyone else had a similar problem with one of their jackets? Is there a trick we don't know about? I have had numerous jackets over the years and have never had this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers. Graeme
I bought myself an OR Sombrero. I wore it on Saturday in heavy rain in the Poulter. It was completely effective at keeping me dry and extremely comfortable and pleasant to wear compared to using a hood. It cost me $60 when I signed up with REI who had it on special. This included the postage and I think the REI membership fee. It equated to the cost of buying it in NZ but I had a choice of a different color. I think it's available at Bivouac here in Chch.
I very rarely use the hood on my parka nowadays. I wear a Tilley Hat as in my profile picture and that is a lot better. You aren't as cut off from the world around you when you wear a wide brimmed hat.
Hi Graeme, I think that's quite a common problem and I doubt there is anyway to stay 100% dry when you are out in the elements. The solution I have come up with is to not wear the hood. I find the hood also blocks out my periphal vision which I really dont like. Now I just get my head wet! But then again, I've never been too phased about walking in the rain - hence the name!
PS: Curious to know which jackets you have used over the years without problems? (I love my raincoat so the hood is not really an issue for me )
I had a 3 layer gore tex One Planet Jacket (don't know the model) for years that I really loved. It was bomb proof. I also had a Mountain Equipment lightweight that worked well, but wore out quickly. I currently also have a Macpac Zone jacket (made from Reflex) that is great for alpine use. I don't have any issues with the hood on this jacket, it is a bit bigger and helmet compatible. The jackets are both Macpac Resolutions.
Some hoods also make it difficult to hear what's happening around you, and to move your head. If I can help it, I tend to only wear mine to keep off cold wind, and find something else (maybe a beanie or sunhat depending on conditions) just to reduce water and sweat dripping near my eyes. I'm still looking for something that works perfectly though.
Well, I do recommend that OR Rain sombrero. But the best thing I ever saw was Rhys Buckingham sheepishly sneaking off from the Glaisnock Hut wearing a tiny collapsable umbrella hat. They're meant to be a joke but if I could find one...

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by GraemeC
On 24 January 2010
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown