Camping on public land?

I live in rural Nevada, in the western U.S. We are coming to the South Island in Feb., and renting a campervan. My question is: can one legally camp OUTSIDE OF CAMPGROUNDS on public land, i.e. national park or reserve lands? In the U.S., one can do so, and even in some national parks, beyond two miles of paved roads. I'd appreciate any knowledge you guys have on this; I've also asked the DOC. Thanks!
On the conservation estate you can camp anywhere you like. You are also free to tramp anywhere you like as well. Our National Parks Act gaurantees free access for everyone in National Parks and this is the case for most other conservation land as well. The exception is that you cannot camp within 500m of a "Great Walk" track except in specially allotted places. It you go to the menu at the top of this page and look under tracks you will see more info on the "Great Walks". Also see http://www.doc.govt.nz I see you are in a campervan. Many towns have bylaws about campervans. I don't know the rules specifically but many public carparks have signs up prohibiting parking overnight in campervans. What ever you do, have a great trip.
Thanks so much, pmcke. This is exactly wht we need to know. DOC told us it is illegal to camp anywhere but in its campgrounds in a national park, which we suspected. In the US, we get around this by camping in national forest land, just outside the parks' boundaries. Death Valley NP is the one that lets you camp within the park but only 2 miles beyond a paved road.
I am not sure whether you are talking about camping on the road side in a campervan or out camping in a tent in the backcountry. There may be bi-laws covering campers at the road side. There are a lot of campervans around and I know just camping by the roadside is discouraged in some places. But I don't have a camper so don't know the rules. But certainly, if you are heading out into a National Park with a tent you are free go and camp anywhere you like. This is gauranteed in the Act. The exception is, as I said, within 500m of a Great Walk Track. Those rules were brought in just to make it a bit more pleasant for people walking those tracks and therefore should probably be respected. One thing have noticed recently is sometimes you get over zealous DOC rangers trying to manage the backcountry by telling people where and what they can and can't do. I had to tell one to mind his own business lately. But on the whole they do a good job and even if they exceed their authority sometimes, usually their advise is good.
Just found this web site which looks like it privides some good information on this subject http://www.camping.org.nz/
Hi there Helengerald. Maybe I can help you a little. My partner and I have a campervan with which we occasionally go tramping. Earlier this year we did a 3000km tour of the South Island during which a huge controversy arose in Central Otago with some conservation groups calling for a total ban on campervans. Twenty or so years ago you could camp anywhere, but things have been ruined by "freedom" campers who've parked in public places, often beside a road, and left litter plus their human waste for others to experience!! This has resulted in more or less a total ban on campervans parked overnight in public places. The other problem is a slight but nevertheless real risk of theft or robbery if you park somewhere remote. I'd advise you to use camping grounds or DOC sites where there are usually dunnies and other campers, especially in summer. Any questions, let me know. Regards David

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by helengerald
On 10 January 2010
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown