Types of shelter

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-shelter-types-pros-cons-sd-live/ "n last month’s SD LIVE event, I discussed the pros and cons of common backpacking shelters — specifically double-wall tents, single-wall tents, tarp systems, bivy sacks, and hammocks. My presentation was a relatively unbiased assessment of the available options, and also intentionally brand- and product-neutral. While I definitely prefer some shelter types over others (refer to my gear lists or The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide), my preferences may not be appropriate for backpackers who encounter different environmental conditions and/or who have a different objective in their outings. This broadcast was part of a double-header. Later in the afternoon, Michael Glavin, the Brand Manager of Sierra Designs, reviewed the 2015 shelters, including the innovative Tentsegrity line of single-wall tents"
91 comments
81–90 of 91

That makes good sense, Silnylon does tend to stretch, so that would negate that. Im looking for a new tarp anyway, my blue tarp only has about 1 trip left in it. Ive nearly torn out all the metal grommets. Truckies hitches+wind+weak grommets dont make for a happy tarp. Thanks for that explanation. Gives me something to look for when Im going tarp hunting
A clove hitch would be the easiest way to do this. Those blue tarps are still noisy though even more so if it rains.
I Run figure 8 loops through the grommets (Should probably adopt bowlines for that, easier to tie without dragging excess line through), I run a clove hitch or timber hitch round my tramping poles, or the tree etc im tying to, and run all lines (except those tied to big sturdy objects) to ground, around a peg, then use truckies hitches to tension (Although Im looking into midshipmans hitches for this, seem to do the same job equally well but are far easier to adjust. I spent a good 40 mins dicking about with tension and retying truckies hitches last trip) And yeah, the polytarps are horrendous in terms of noise. Last trip we had rain and wind hit even though we were fairly sheltered, and the whole thing shook and crackled all night. Didnt give me any trouble, but my mate wasnt too impressed. Ugh, actually, the stupid-light decision to use one of those thin foam mats rather than an inflatable pad to sleep on was what kept me up. Never again. I forgot why Id retired that horrible thin foam POS.
Hugh has given good info. I use a 3m x 3m top quality German tarp I bought in Vancouver. Got home and found "Made in Vietnam" on a label but, hey, it works! I experimented on a lawn to find various ways of putting it up using either 2 trekking poles or 1 for a really snug weather proof tent. The tarp has a good feature of a reinforced patch in it's center with a tag for a cord to go through. Put the pole handle upwards and tie it to the center for a very strong structure. Only had to try that once but it was so cramped and miserable that I abandoned the idea, packed up and scurried off to a hut another hour or two up the valley! Yes, use a length of cord as a ridge line to take the tension off the fabric. Use Prussik knots on the guy ropes. Google it. I've been using them for years and they never fail except if the cord is that cheap shiny plastic stuff. Very easy to adjust. If grommets are pulling out, or there aren't any, get a small stone and wrap the corner, or edge, of the tarp around it and tie the end of the guy cord around it tightly.
lots of good info being shared here - interesting to see what happens when people avoid being dogmatic and stick to sharing what has or hasn't worked in their personal experience.
Go on then. Suggestions for someone who has no trekking poles and no interest in carrying them A solution for above-bushline pitching of tarps. Guess i'm really asking what the most compact lightweight substitute for the trekking pole support is.
Army and outdoors had extendable basha poles for a while. Something like that. Light extendable poles might work? Dont know. Tarps above bushline is a tricky one.
I have a folding Luxe tarp pole which I sometimes carry: http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p2531_Luxe_Tarp_Pole_165.html 275gms (or the weight of a trekking pole) but at least you can fold it small to fit in your pack. Talking about Coleman tents I have Spirit 2: http://www.caravancamping.co.nz/Our-Products/Tramping/Tents/2-PERSON-TENTS/Coleman-Spirit-2-Tent/ which I use as a base tent of for 2 people and it is really good. It is a 1.9kg, one pole tent style that ive used in rainy and windy conditions and stayed dry and warm. It has a 10 000 rated fly with a 4000 rated floor, which is all you need for most conditions anyway. I would use it as my main tent but it is just too heavy to carry as a solo tent.
fly camping above the bushline - I've used long handled ice axes, track marker poles, boulders, poles carried from the last bush, extendable ski touring poles, and once or twice the older style aluminium sectioned tent poles. I haven't spent a lot of time camping on the tops in bad weather - not without a tent - when the only shelter is a fly it might pay to stay close to the bush edge, unless the weather is perfect? In an emergency I've thought about wrapping myself and sleeping bag in the fly - but didn't have to try it. Once I did manage 4 nights in a row sleeping under the stars above the bushline - but I had alternatives available. If I was planning on relying on a fly above the trees - I'd carry at least one pole, probably a collapsible ski/trekking pole, they're light, short, and multi purpose. Note - I've never used a trekking pole for its own sake.
Hugh - wait until your knees start packing up and then you will know why trekking poles exist! lol (They are also excellent for slashing the odd thistle or ragwort one encounters.)
81–90 of 91

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by waynowski
On 4 March 2015
Replies 90
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown