Types of shelter

1–10 of 91

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-shelter-types-pros-cons-sd-live/ "n last month’s SD LIVE event, I discussed the pros and cons of common backpacking shelters — specifically double-wall tents, single-wall tents, tarp systems, bivy sacks, and hammocks. My presentation was a relatively unbiased assessment of the available options, and also intentionally brand- and product-neutral. While I definitely prefer some shelter types over others (refer to my gear lists or The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide), my preferences may not be appropriate for backpackers who encounter different environmental conditions and/or who have a different objective in their outings. This broadcast was part of a double-header. Later in the afternoon, Michael Glavin, the Brand Manager of Sierra Designs, reviewed the 2015 shelters, including the innovative Tentsegrity line of single-wall tents"
Interesting, thanks. I'm a big fan of SD tents - I have a Lightning HT2 that outperforms any other tent I've ever owned by a substantial margin. Those new FL ones look pretty cool though....hmmmm.....
Interesting link..... I've been thinking about a tarp-hammock set up recently. Normally I use a fly or less often a light 1 person tent depending on where I am going. Recently, I was walking the St James and there were a number of spots where neither could have been used. Of course you can always make a spot or keep walking till you find one, but in an emergency that may not be an option. I often find there is too much pole beech & undergrowth to put a fly or tent up. BUT you could fit a hammock above all of the junk on the forest floor without major problems. Hammocks are common overseas, especially in the US, but don't seem to have taken off here.
I believe there is a guy down Athol way who makes em, Hennesy hammocks or something like that? Personally, I get motion sickness, I couldnt think of anything more uncomfortable to sleep in... but yea I think they are pretty popular with hunters etc I heard them rave about them.
The good thing about them is that you are off the wet ground, if it is hosing with rain you are so much drier and warmer. I used one when I was in the army, but it is long gone now. It was a bit heavy as well, I think around 1.8kg, but then army gear is not built to be lightweight, just hardy!
I've used hammocks a reasonable number of times. The biggest issue is that when the air temperature gets much below about 12 degC the chill from underneath becomes a real problem. There are various solutions out there - but none of them are ideal. The best one I've tried so far is down-filled air mat (an Exped) - it's sufficiently flexible that it will curve adequately in two dimensions and tends to stay in place. And while I can happily cook a meal from inside a fly or tent with the cooker at the entrance - the space under a hammock isn't at all sheltered from a breeze. Plus if you are in a group - they aren't very sociable. Overall I do think hammocks have a place, and more kiwi trampers could well make good use of them - but they do come with some trade-offs. You have to try them a few times to see how that balances out for you.
Acute Trek Pvt. Ltd. an indoor outdoor trekking and tours operative company takes you that further way to guarantee you has an unforgettable adventure that you have been dream with Acute trek is part of your choice. We have your choose of trekking for 3 days or 30 or more days it depending of your timetable, sleep under lodges or tent. We always respect our duty to constantly your holiday satisfaction in Nepal. Whether you are looking for a quiet gateway, a memorable outing with a family or an exciting nature adventure. We offer you with the best progressive information and itinerary leading focused and modified as per your requirements. It is significant to memorize, though, it necessitate an enough level of physical homework and must remembers that there is also a psychosomatic assurance in walking in mountains. Acute trek is an attempt to encourage Nepal to the exterior world while striving to defend an aged tradition as well as conserve the surroundings for generation to come. We specialize in organize Nepal travel activities excursion such as:- Trekking, Helicopter Tour, Peak Climbing, Mountain Flight, Honeymoon Tour, Sightseeing, Rafting, Jungle Safari, Pilgrim’s Tour, Hotel Reservation, Air Ticket, Tibet and Bhutan Tour many more your vacation desire. We dedicated ourselves to take each step essential to provide you and skill you will dotingly look back upon not kind what it cost you, as you will be recurring a wealthier person full of reminiscences. We, trekking and tours company in Nepal that is very believable, responsible and fully offers personage, group, tailored travel and trekking excursions in Nepal. If you would like to explorer lifetime knowledge of trekking and visiting destination of different part of Nepal as well as tours to Bhutan and destination Tibet in a secure and safe mode, then we is the exact agency for you. Our trekking tours team involve knowledge all aspect of country, the enormous historical sites, natural loveliness and wildlife, most prominently, they give you the opportunity to get with local people and to see their custom first hand. Anyone with a join up to strong legs and strength of adventure to discover the exotic will pleasurable the excitement of trekking, tours and charming discovery. Further information contact below:- Acute Trek Pvt. Ltd. P.O.Box: 23044, Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal Phone: 0097714700422 Mobile: 009779841433205 http://www.trekshimalaya.com
Sorry, but who's the clown posting ads for his company?? Anyway, back to tents vs hammocks.... I had a Hennessey Hammock a few years ago, and absolutely loved it! The quickest thing you'll ever put up. And BRILLIANT in swampy areas! I have used one a LOT. It's all I took when I backpacked/hiked (some serious jungle as well) in SE Asia. Pros: If you're fast-hiking, these bad boys save you so much time! Prior to all this new cuben fibre etc, there was no question a hammock was a really light, affordable way to go. Even as a restless sleeper, I found I could get a very sound sleep in a hammock. It naturally wants you to sleep on your back, so you don't move around too much. (The downside is that I snore like a forest full of chainsaws sleeping on my back). No poles to break. A well-made hammock won't break lines, and if you do, who cares? Everyone carries some paracord, right? Cons: There's not always somewhere to tie off too. Of course, no dramas in the jungles of SE Asia, but I lived in the desert for awhile. Hammock is mostly useless in open spaces.... As mentioned, with even moderate air temperatures, your arse will get bloody cold very quickly! Hennessey came out with an insulating layer, and from what I hear they work really well, but haven't tried it. And of course, mucking around with that stuff adds both weight and set-up/pack-up time. Bloody mosquitoes can still sting you through the hammock! Quite annoying, especially as I run hot and attract mosquitoes like nobody's business. I've got no idea if sandflies would still be able to bite you through it. I suspect not, but hey, I'm not staking my reputation on that.... It leaves your arse exposed. This may sound paranoia, especially to Kiwi's who don't have to deal with dodgy animals (although a boar's tusk in the arse wouldn't be pleasant). However, I was hiking in the Teman Negara jungle in Malaysia, and on my birthday, incidentally, I was all comfortably racked out in my hammock, when some torches from other campers (I was strung up between big cement poles underneath a hide) started to annoy me. I told them to piss off. They said seriously mate, a wild dog was about to bite a chunk out of your arse. Well, that changed my tune quick smart! I took my hammock upstairs and strung it from the rafters. No bloody animals were getting me up there! However, as a side-note, I got food poisoning that night, so was up and down all night vomiting violently. Yeah. Happy birthday Kreig.... So, my thoughts on hammocks: Brilliant in bushy areas without wild animals or loads of mosquitoes. Second to none. Also really good when visiting people where bedspace is at a premium. Normally somewhere inside/outside a house where you can string up. Totally crapola in wide open spaces, and good luck using it anywhere where an animal might have a nibble from below....! Would I recommend it in NZ? I've been pondering that. I think they'd be great for hunters who are able to carry more gear. Because you'd need to insulate yourself well. Or if you're just camping, as opposed to tramping. If tramping, they'd be good in most parts of NZ in summer, but in winter, well, I'm dubious. Would I recommend it for major thru-hikes like the TAT? Well, that's exactly what I'm starting to prepare for myself. And as a one-stop-shop shelter, I'd categorically say no. In alpine regions I reckon it would be completely inadequate, even if you can string up down lower in the tree-line.
Having said all that, what types of shelter WOULD someone recommend for the TAT? I leaning towards a single person, light-weight, low profile tent. I was thinking about my trusty Kathmandu dome tent, but previous comments made to me are right; won't hold up in gale conditions. I've tarped it before, but I am a really hot-body, and attract bugs like flies to crap. So I prefer a fully enclosed arrangement. I could be persuaded otherwise, of course, if the pros of another option outweigh the cons. Cheers in advance. :)
theres some elaborate lightweight options with heaps of mesh for ventilation. tarptent, terra nova. zpacks... need to be bought online from overseas though.
1–10 of 91

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by waynowski
On 4 March 2015
Replies 90
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown