Pack weights

1–10 of 36

Happy New Year all! Have just finished packing for 3 nights up in the Kawekas - pack weighs in at 14KG including tent, food and 3 litres of water. I've been on a lightweight drive for the past year in the interests of saving my dodgy knee - last Summer I would have been packing 4 - 5kg heavier for the same trip. I've reduced weight by: - Swapping to a lightweight 1 man tent (Zephyros) - Buying a lightweight sleeping bag - Using a smaller, lighter sleeping pad (Exped UL) - Taking lighter foods - Taking less spare clothes - Stripping my first aid/emergency kit back to bare essentials. I'll get around to buying a lighter pack eventually - that'll knock another 1.5KG off. Interested in hearing how others weigh in for similar trips - a nice innocuous topic to kick 2015 off :-)
I've got the Osprey Exos 46, about 40 liters without the floating lid which I never use. About 900 grams and it's all I need for up to 8 or 9 days, and that's with nothing attached to the outside (barring water bottles in the reach-on-the-move side pockets). Awesome pack, can't fault it. Got it for about $200 NZD in London. But it won't work without minimalist stuff to go inside it. I use: -Enlightened Equipment sleeping quilt: sub 500 grams and about 2 liter pack size. Have to sleep in clothing sometimes but lightening up is all about dual use. -Montbell ultralight down jacket, Haglofs Ozo Goretex Packlight jacket, Montane Minimus pertex rainpants. -Cooking/eating I take nothing but cooker, swiss, spork, tin foil lid and a 500 ml aluminium pot/bowl/mug. Small gas canister lasts days as I only ever have to boil water (instant porridge and Backcountry cuisine essential). -I can bivy fairly comfortably with my short neo-air and this 300 gram bivy bag http://www.milesgear.com/EBivy.html Replaced the draw top lid with a zip. Very useful for the price and it rates my sleeping quilt up while still breathing well. Very roomy even on me (6'2", 100kg). Miles will make you one to measure if you're smaller and weight-conscious. Never used it in rain yet but no probs in heavy dew. -Goosefeet down socks are great warmth for weight. Good tip for when feet are cold before bed is to make a hottie out of your waterbottle and pop it down your sleeping bag. Tent? Don't take one much in NZ (got a Scarp 1 Tarptent, great solo tent but a bit heavy at 1.4kg). When carried with the Exos has to attach to the gear loops on the pack's bottom. High summer, with food for 3 nights, no tent and no water, I'd probably come in under 6 kgs. backpackinglight.com is a wonderful resource for lightening up ideas. Just don't mention hiking boots over there. I think their trails must be in kept in fine nick cos I couldn't imagine making trail runners work in NZ.
@Craigo: I've got the same pack! And bought the bigger one for Stewart Island. You have some great lightweight gear and impressive weight reduction. My parner often tramps in trail runners. My best effort was 9kg for 5 days but it was in summer. Trips are so much more pleasant with a lighter pack, aren't they? I did have a GoLite pack that weighed 600g but am so pleased with the Exos 46 that I sold the GoLite. I especially like the meshed back that vents. I met a Te Araroa traveler who cut off her frame and it ruined her pack (I tried it on).
@Honora - If the Exos is your go-to pack then I definitely made the right call. Wasn't sure about the fit when I left the shop (the lighter the pack the fewer adjustables), so I put a 13 kg load in it and went to the playground with my daughter. Horsing about on the equipment when I realised I'd forgotten I was wearing it. Sold. The trampoline back is a joy. As are the water holsters, the hip-belt pockets, stow-on-the-go pole holders. And it's tough for the weight. Yea you can go 500 gm + lighter (Z Packs are probably the lightest) but those are very spartan and I think too fragile for NZ. I used to believe that if your pack felt too heavy you hadn't trained hard enough. Then I found myself scrambling/climbing/swimming up a dodgy gorge bash in the Ruahines one day (my own fault, missed the diversion and got committed) and couldn't help thinking how much more fun I'd be having without the 20 kg passenger trying to tip me to a watery end. Lightened up and never looked back. Soooo many benefits.
I'm on the quest as well, so far I've got down to a base weight of 10 kg's but as gear wears out I'm replacing it with lighter weight replacements. My next purchase will be a lighter pack, that should save me at least a kilo. Add 4kgs for food & water for a 4-5 day trip puts me at 14-15 kilos total. I think you need to strike a balance, light(er) weight but still taking into account the rugged conditions we experience in New Zealand. A US style base weight of 5-6 kg's is fine but only if you know what you are doing. You read some of the ultra light blogs and think "holly hell, your lucky its the US and not NZ". Some of those PCT, JMT or AT hikers would probably die if they used the same gear here.
You guys blow me away for weight as I'd regularly carry 15 - 18kg when starting a tramp for 5 - 8 days. (that is without water or any tools) It hasn't been a problem in the past as I can carry the weight ok and haven't slowed companions even though they may have lighter packs. However as age takes it's toll smaller & lighter packs are increasingly tempting especially for longer trips. In an attempt to lighten up I've already tried lighter boots but that has been a dismal failure and I've reverted to heavier boots. A Nemo bivvy tent weighing about 1.5kg including an optional extra footprint floor has been purchased & it is much lighter than my old 2-3 man tent and it is better for keeping the bugs out. However I do miss the lost space. A smaller sleeping bag would be useful but I've already got 4 other ones. Cutting back on food, clothing and 1st aid gear could be done but I take comfort in having quite a safety factor here. I can see I've got a long way to go and will probably not go overboard trying to get the weight down but take the same approach as you "bradley1" and consider lighter replacements as gear wears out.
Not many can just bite the bullet and say All heavy gear out, Nice new expensive light gear in. Also a lot of hypalight gear is not as durable as heavier gear. I started tramping with a full 100 litre pack never under 20kg without water. I couldnt do that now. Old dacron sleeping bag was a tad over 2kg. Current down winter bag is 1.3 and my summer bag which is still dacron but the newer fancy type is 1.4. I know I could cut each of these in half weight wise possibly more but I have 5 servicable bags between the wife and myself. Clothing Ive tryed fleeces and dont like them. The Swandri is worth the weight factor in all but very cold or very warm conditions. Yes I know it takes a lot to dry if it gets wet. I found that after falling over in a river. Didnt get cold though in the next hour up to the hut. Cooking gear Brass optimus 123r got changed to a Dragonfly which got changed to a chinese clone of a whisperlite which is quite light or at least it would be if I wasnt paranoid about carrying a half full fuel bottle. A one litre bottle carrys 1 litre when leaving home. That is mad I know. I saw a V can stove on my last trip tht worked very well and at half the weight of an empty beer can for 2 people and simple food but you have to measure the fuel into it as by design it burns till empty. Packs I know my Macpac torlese is not the lightest pack out there by a country mile but its comfortable and works. Coats I started in oilskins then yellow pvc but my first modern coat was a katmandu weighing 900 grams which has been replaced by a 300g Patagonia but there is a similar weight mountain design gortex in the wardrobe for when that fails (dont you love closing down sales) I know some people that use the $2 shop disposable coats that would be lucky to weigh 30g but you only use them once Even now Im weighing in at 12kg before water Im probably glad I dont tramp any more with people that consider it normal to carry a dozen DB on a trip. We always carried the emptys out for the swap a crate
I don't think many of us are flush enough to go out and spend a couple of thousand on ultra-light gear without a bit of financial pain. I've just been reading a ultra-light gear list which weighed only 80 ounces (2.4 kg) excluding food, water and worn clothes. That is a crazy low amount to carry what I basically do now. I did some intra-web searches and came up with a price for this guys setup shipped to NZ from the States: $3450! Here it is: http://gossamergear.com/wp/gear-lists/glen-van-peskis-gear-list So I could buy a paddock basher or his gear list!!!!
For 3-4 days can usually get pack, with food to about 10 kgs, less if its low level, warm temperatures. Bit More if taking hunting gear. Have Terra Nova 2 person tent, weighs 1kg, Monte Bell s/bag is 650gms, plus few other light items. usually take a swandri wool shirt on tops/cooler trips plus Hunters Element rain jacket thats not very light. Got a 40 litre macpac pack, weighs 1.3kgs. But boots are still heavy Last Rite model, prefer them to the lightweight models, in rough country. Longer 8-10 days use macpac Ascent pack, 65 litre, its a bit heavier. all up weight is usually about 15-18kgs. with hunting gear. Do like to take a few food luxuries, not keen on the Backcountry dehy meals
Some interesting ideas in here. May have to splash out for a 5th sleeping bag. My current sleeping bags weigh between 1.7kg & 2.3kg. I mainly use a 1.8kg one in the summer and a 2.2 or the 2.3 kg one in winter. All of them are bulky! A smaller sleeping bag would provide the option of trying a smaller Macpac pack that I have for longer trips rather than my usual pack.
1–10 of 36

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by hutchk
On 1 January 2015
Replies 35
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown