Tararuas - Frances Stream & Maymorn Ridge

Hi - anyone out there who has accessed this track to Renata hut (Tararuas) recently? The ridge track is marked on the latest topo map, however, the entrance near the Salvation Army centre (as described in the Tararuas route guide)prohibits any entry.
The track isn't shown in the 2006 TerraLink "Tararua Recreation Area" 1:50000 map. Past experience suggests this means it may still exist but not maintained. A few months back I went to Renata hut via the other track - roadend at Waiotauru Rd, from akatarawa saddle. Didn't spot where the track above Frances stream came in but we weren't really looking for it either. I'll be interested to hear from anyone who has done this recently...
That track no longer exsists/maintained. The start of Frances Creek is private land... A few years back maybe 2 or 3 yrs a guy drove his Subaru in from Akatarawa Saddle but I assume there is 4WD access since ARAC(some 4wd club) drive right into Waiotauru Hut but then again one fo them died and rolled his truck off the edge pass the Renata Hut turn-off. You could always walk in from Otaki Forks we did a loop of Field Hut-Kime Hut-Mt Hector-Aston-Elder Hut-Renata Hut-Waiotauru Hut-Otaki Forks Renata and Waiotauru huts are not very plesant to stay in but Elder was a new DOC one a fews years ago with nice views. I will ask my Dad when he comes home whether or not the landowner allows access through his land...
Thanks for the responses - I walked from the Akatarawa saddle along the 4 WD road to the hut. This took about 2 1/2 hours, with the last 20minutes or so being a bush track from Maymorn Junction. There was a recently cut and marked track leading off just before Renata hut, which might be the one heading down Maymorn Ridge/Frances Creek...

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by jcmck
On 17 November 2009
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown