Pack Size on Multiday Tramps

So, where are the ultralights at? On past trips, I've used my trusty old Macpac Traverse 65L. In the end, it felt too big and heavy so I downgraded to a Ospray Kestrel 38L, which I have used on several multiday tramps here in Australia comfortably. (These are tramps where I have had to carry several litres of water at all times plus camping gear.) Wondering, how small have you gone and for how many days? I am considering bringing my Kestral with me in November - or a Macpac Amp Race 40L (which is onsale for pocket change at my local Macpac store... very tempting).
25 comments
21–25 of 25

I have reduced my volume over the years 2 now being unable to fill a 75 l pack but its a good pack and will continue to be my pack even if I get to the point its only half full. 5 years ago I was using a 100l and it was always full. The problem with club trips and an unfull bag is you tend to get the big items so the club fly is often an accessory which is ok unless its wet. That thing will hold a litre of water
Interesting topic. Agree with Hugh on capacity. Till recently I've used a heavier Macpac 65l (2.5kg) but decided to try a lighter pack with same capacity. It's great to be carrying 1kg less base weight yet it's also nice to have the space to fit light stuff on the top without squashing the life out of it. With various outside compression straps, the pack can be cinched down when necessary. More versatile.
It's a good thing they don't fly fish during these races. I'm looking to upgrade my 65L to a 90L. lol Somewhere between 25-30kg (hence the username!!), but it's okay as I thankfully don't go up much, whew!!
I was following this TAT blog http://restless-kiwi.blogspot.co.nz/2015/03/final-gear-review.html over Christmas and the owners top three items weighed: Z packs Arcblast Pack, 60l: 572gms Z Packs sleeping bag, -2 degrees, 523gms Z Packs Cuben fibre tent, 529gms Her all up base weight is only 7kg's!!!! That is really light....! It goes to show you what is possible if you think about each and every item (and you have a lot of baht for gears).
I also used an Osprey Stratos (34L version) for a long time. I spent 5 months in SE Asia - a lot of that extended jungle tramps - with nothing else. Having said that, it just wouldn't be enough space to remain safe in an NZ winter. At least not comfortably. I have a few packs. Currently liking my Hunters Element Peak, but am looking at an Aarn Featherlite for Te Araroa. Was thinking about the Aarn Mountain Magic, but that's a bit too small.
21–25 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pjg084
On 21 September 2014
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown