Pack Size on Multiday Tramps

So, where are the ultralights at? On past trips, I've used my trusty old Macpac Traverse 65L. In the end, it felt too big and heavy so I downgraded to a Ospray Kestrel 38L, which I have used on several multiday tramps here in Australia comfortably. (These are tramps where I have had to carry several litres of water at all times plus camping gear.) Wondering, how small have you gone and for how many days? I am considering bringing my Kestral with me in November - or a Macpac Amp Race 40L (which is onsale for pocket change at my local Macpac store... very tempting).
25 comments
11–20 of 25

Thats impressive in my eyes, considering I use a 55Lish pack for 2-3 days, and have my shelter and sleeping mat strapped externally (unless Im bivvying). Of course, Im getting better with time, but even so, A 36l pack for 3 days is very good imo
3 days, haha they run it in 3 hours, with an even smaller pack
Oh, I know routeburn can be done in under 3days, I was just saying that the pack size, for 3 days of tramping was pretty impressive imo
totally, I was taking the piss myself
I use a 40 litre pack. had macpac kakapo, replaced it with a macpac Weka fits 2-3 days gear food ok. including tent, sleeping mat etc I found I had to get less bulky gear before could get weight below 8-10 kgs, and to fit these packs. ie sleeping bag, tent, smaller cooking pot, sleeping mat etc
If hutting for 2-3 days, why take a tent ?. If the huts full, won't a sleeping mat do ?.
Ive been at Cow Creek with 10 in a 6 bunker. It was cozy. To get to 14 would of had people under the bunks but what happens if you are no 15?
@proactive not all trips utilize huts pack gets even lighter/smaller if using huts
"If HUTTING for 2-3 days, why take a tent ?. If the huts full, won't a sleeping mat do ?." Is'nt there floor space where you could lay your mat ?. If it's a bivvy or a 4-berth, you might not want to take that gamble.
for tramping, for me, pack volume has never been an issue. (except when the pack is not big enough). My current macpac ascent 65L 1.9kg serves just as well for day trips as it does for a week. On longer trips the extending lid is useful for the odd tent or rope (that won't quite go inside but that I don't want on the 'outside') and on day trips the straps can be used to compress any spare volume. I'm not a runner and 1kg of 'unecessary' weight on a day trip is not going to be an issue. On overnights any extra weight is reasonably balanced against durability/reliability. So one pack meets my tramping requirements. My daypacks don't get used for tramping.
11–20 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pjg084
On 21 September 2014
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown