Pack Size on Multiday Tramps

1–10 of 25

So, where are the ultralights at? On past trips, I've used my trusty old Macpac Traverse 65L. In the end, it felt too big and heavy so I downgraded to a Ospray Kestrel 38L, which I have used on several multiday tramps here in Australia comfortably. (These are tramps where I have had to carry several litres of water at all times plus camping gear.) Wondering, how small have you gone and for how many days? I am considering bringing my Kestral with me in November - or a Macpac Amp Race 40L (which is onsale for pocket change at my local Macpac store... very tempting).
Depends on the trip and my mood at the time - I use a Cascade 55l if I decide being more comfortable at night is worth the extra weight, or my Explorer 40l if I'm going light(ish). Seriously considering trading the Cascade in for something lighter though - weighs 3kg empty....
I can be fully self contained using an Amp Race 40L for 2-3 days. If sharing some of the gear (cooking/camping) can manage another day or so. Not only can they picked up very cheap at times but they take a fair bit more punishment than I expected - just onto my second one after thrashing the first for several years.
Self-contained for 2-3 days? That's quite an achievement, Stunted. I can't believe I use to wear 65L. I remember then, that I often didn't feel as though I had enough capacity. All the reviews I have read of the Amp Race 40 are pretty favourable. And at half off, I reckon I would be mad not to invest in one... (The Kestral is technically my partners, but he hardly uses it. But, one day, we're likely to both need access to one.)
I have a Vaude Brenta 50l I can easily use for 1-3day trips, it is only 1.3 kg empty. Not super light but an acceptable weight I feel. My larger pack is a Vaude Accept 65l. I only use this for trips over 3 days in length now as it is more comfortable hauling all of that extra food in it. Im slowly getting my base weight down, as gear wears out Im buying Ultra light as a replacement. If I use the 50l im carrying around 12-14kg total including water (usually1-2 litres) and food for a 3 day trip. Id like to go totally Ultra light but the gear is so hellishly expensive, I just cant justify it. My big 3: Pack 1.3kg Sleeping Bag 1.2 kg Fly/Tent 1.1 or 1.3kg depending on fly or tent.
@bradley1 - where'd you get your Vaude packs from?
I brought them from The Complet Angler/Complete Outdoors here in Christchurch. The Accept 65 +10 go for something like $300, the Brenta 50 was $100 as a sale item. The stated weight for the Brenta is 1.5 kg, but I adapted mine. Ive taken off the sternum strap, compartment flap and some webbing I dont need, 350 gms gone just like that! Check out their website for availability at: http://www.completeoutdoors.co.nz/
Cheers - will call in there next time I'm down in Chch.
To do 2-3 days with the amp 40 fully self contained some stuff does go on the outside of the pack. Primarily the water bladder (2L camelback in a cover) and often the raincoat. If using a fly that can fit inside but if using a small tent that goes on the outside. A big space saver is the macpac pinncale sleeping bag which is very small (250g down, down only on top). Of course they don't make these any more, but myself and others happily use them for at least 9 months of the year and sometimes in the depths of winter in low level huts.
1 deleted post from stunted
Just did the Routeburn solo in snow over 3 days with the Osprey Stratos 36. Granted this is with huts but still ok for my third time out. Not sure I could have squeezed another fruit leather in there if I'd tried. Carrying sleeping bag, all weather clothes, cooker, gas, food, a book, gopro, 2 phones, first aid, topos, pot, mug, inflatable pillow, 3L of water (I sweat/drink a lot), etc. Could have done with another warm layer in the huts/evenings though.
1–10 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pjg084
On 21 September 2014
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown