Tramping the length of New Zealand

Hi, I am very happy to have found a forum solely for tramping. Let me introduce my myself.. My name is Lee Hughes am currently at uni studying evolutionary anthropology and am currently planning to do 3 expeditions once I finish. These will include. Cycle the world Walk New Zealand Climb Mount McKinley www.leehughes.co.uk I look forward to getting to know you all via this forum and maybe meeting you one day once I arrive in New Zealand :) Thanks
Just seeing if I get email notices upon reply :)
You're from the UK. What special significance does Denali and NZ have? Have you climbed anything before? Particularly with altitude.
Hi, Yes, I have been trekking up the himalayas and av just had a natural attraction to the landscapes of NZ and Alaska.
I would imagine you'd welcome the chance to visit some glaciers and climb something in NZ. It never hurts to get some practical experience. Are you familiar with crevasse rescue techniques, pulley systems etc? What sort of height and weight are you?
Hi, I am up for anything, unfortunately I haven't had any crevasse rescue training. I read that there is a 3 week course before you climb Mt McKinley so I was planning on using that course for my training. I am only a small lad, about 5ft 9" about weigh about 10 st although this will no doubt decrease with life on the road. Will have to stop for re- fuelling. :)
Nothin wrong with being small. I'm only 5'8" and 75kg. It helps if the person you're roped up to is a similar weight unless you like being dragged into the crevasse. It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. You can get through a 10 day technical mountaineering course in NZ and learn enough to do the job. The key is the time you give yourself to absorb the knowledge and make the techniques second nature. It's a lot to learn over a short time, even if it's three weeks. I've often thought the money spent on a course could be better spent doing activities yourself over a much longer period thus giving more experience in practice as well. The gear adds to the cost significantly and some time collecting it and refining it for your own abilities etc could make things simpler in the end. After all, it's about minimising risks and maximising your chance of success. How much time are you giving yourself in NZ?
Hi, Thanks for the tips.. I am looking to get about a year visa in NZ. I hope to spent half of this walking/tramping and the rest hopefully working and planning the South American part of my trip :)
NZ climbing courses are held in high regard elsewhere in the world because the methods of roping up for example are practical and techniques involved are about learning to do alot with the minimum of climbing gear. Unlike in Europe where huts etc are plentiful and conveniently located, one has to be better prepared for time outside and longer routes involving perhaps bigger packs. The tendency is therefore to minimise the amount of hardware.eg not bothering with Jumars and pulleys etc and being able to do the job with a minimum number of biners and prusiks etc. If you keep in contact, i might be able to assist with some basic exercises and provide some of the gear with which to learn or practice. I'm always looking for guinea pigs as i am cautious and showing others is a good way to consolidate your own experience. I too would like to expand my climbing resume but pairing up with climbers for me requires knowing them first to best judge what they will do when things go awry. Communication on a glacier is not always optimum even with only 8 -10 metres of rope between you and you want to know your climbing partner isn't going to cut the rope and piss off when you're in the crevasse. In saying that i mean not to cast dipersions on Simon Yates for releasing his 'accident prone' mountaineering friend on suila grande in Peru ( Touching the void ) e-mail : [Email address removed] Good luck
Hi, Thanks for your support and time. Am not to sure what the plan is yet as am doing it with my girlfriend and thus the route we will have to agree on. Due on the fact of money and other things such as stuff to carry, I don't think we will be trekking over many glaciers. Maybe a couple for the experience, nothing is set in stone yet though. I still have to finish my degree and cycle to NZ first! lol Yeah av seen that movie, crazy.. Your email has been removed but go to my website (first post) and all my contact details are there. :) Thanks

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by leehughes
On 20 October 2009
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown