South Island March 2010

This is an open invitation to anyone interested in tramping in the South Island in March 2010. Actual date to be confirmed but most likely mid March. Routes: Open to suggestions. Age/sex: Anyone and everyone Duration: Two weeks, possibly longer. If anyone is interested please feel free to get in touch.
31 comments
11–20 of 31

Correct. I seem to recall crossing the Hodder a lot more than 70 times, but it matters little really after the first time......wet feet are wet feet! Haven't done it from the Clarence side yet but have read about it though. As I said, this is one of many options that I have in mind for March, but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone else interested?
From the Clarence side you have the privilege of doing one of the greatest possible height gains on one mountain i.e. 2400m!
This is something I wasn't aware of and sounds really interesting, thanks for the information. I guess that either way it's a case of web feet?
Certainly not! Absolutely a dry foot trip from the Clarence side. You have to pay for the use of the road and hut (Branch Cottage owned by Bluff Station) unless you do it while you're rafting the Clarence as some have been known to do...
This does sound like an option and I'll be keen to do it either next March or some other time, that's for sure. Still seeking anyone else interested in a couple of weeks tramping the South Island next March. All welcome
I am thinking perhaps I might leave Tappy this time and head south to QT, unless anyone else would like to give Tappy a go? I've done it from Gladstone Station a couple of times but not from the Clarence side. Still open to suggestions for any tramps in mid to late March 2010. Interested?
I'm keen to visit Tappy from the Clarence side but not in March now. Kathryn and i are landing in ChCh on the 7th, spending three days around Canterbury and flying to Qt on the 11th to probably visit Lake Nerine, Mt.Earnslaw and either Lochnagar or Dragonfly peak/Sisyphus near the east Matukituki.
Maybe we can catch up next time and do Tappy from the Clarence side as it sounds an interesting tramp. How long are you planning to be in the QT area for?
I'd make it a specific goal to do just that (Tappy from the east). If you want to nominate a time period feel free. Arr Qt early morn Thur 11th and departing early arvo Sun 21st. Maybe we'll cross paths.
I'll most likely be in QT around that time, at the moment am looking at arriving about 8th or 9th, but am waiting on some others to arrange their leave first before anything is set in stone, but either way maybe we will cross paths, perhaps even literally too. As for Tappy? If I have time I would like to do it again from Gladstone Station after QT, but again it's dependent upon how long I decide to stay in NZ. If I can get across again later in the year I'll let you know and we'll see if we can't arrange something then.
11–20 of 31

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by normclimb
On 7 August 2009
Replies 30
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown