Rehab

1–10 of 21

Wanted: easy walks near Palmy North. OK: probably getting a wee bit ahead of myself as the furthest I've managed to walk since breaking my leg is 2km (or more accurately the furthest I've been able to walk since the doctors got their hands on me after breaking my leg!). However, I've had just about enough of sitting here reading about everyone else's tramps and need at least to start dreaming of some for myself in the near future. Criteria: easy, flat (downhill is HARD), minimum of tree roots and scrambling. Weekend walks with a hut at the end. Prefer 1.5hrs of Palmy North, so southern Ruahines / northern Tararuas. But happy to hear of any real gems a bit farther afield.
Great to hear you are getting back out again. Don't know the Palmy area too well but I have heard that the old Purity Hut is on display in the museum. I have always meant to check that out. That hut was a corrogated iron box without windows. I spent 2 nights in it in a snow storm with nothing to read but a Giddeon Bible. Purity Hut indeed!!
The Esplanade comes to mind. If you can dodge the damn train. Anything in the Ruahines is steep. And the Tararuas is not much better. Theres the Gorge walk, thats flat. Up Pohongia Valley way there are some day tramps. But I think most close for calving. Plus they have attack goats (story for another day). The best one I can think of is Mangahou Valley up behind Shannon. There is a bit of climbing once you get past Harris Creek. Though I would suggest only going as far as Harris creek and camping just south of the stream. There is a small clear flat bit, a picnic table and a fire place. Take about 3 hours to get there slowly, if I remember correctly all crossings are bridged to that point and the water is very drinkable. Further south and you get into slips and wet weather tracks up and over small hills. Though Mangahou Flats Hut is a big barn of a hut and crazy place to be on your own, but if you can get that far well worth it. Another is Zeke's Hut in the Hihitahi Reserve, 4 bunk hut in the reserve between Taihape and Waioru, it is one of my favs, did it this time last year, a bit cold, a little bit of up hill, and some scrambling down a bit too, but if you take it easy it could be done ok as part of rehab. The hut is warm with plenty of wood and a lot of character for a new hut. I did it in about two and a half hours. Great views of National Park from the summit. It you want more info let me know, but I think this site has a good bit of info on the valley, and I have put Zeke's hut in.
One more note, the first part of Zekes is deep mud if the farmer has let the cows in, best to check this with DOC in Palmerston North, they may have a track update. Also on the 5th June I am going into Lietchs Clearing Hut, about 3 hours from Palmy but again a flat track with no river crossings, I am going with 2 blocks from work, you are welcome to join us.
Are you allowed to weight-bear already or this expedition going to be done on crutches? There are a few options at Lake Waikaremoana - parts of the Great Walk [not Panekiri]. Or a trip to Waikareiti to Sandy Bay hut. You can hire a boat there and could row 1 way if your leg wasn't up to too much walking. Obviously though a more expensive option than something local.
Cheers for the ideas. Mangahau was on my list of maybes: was going to ask specifically if no-one mentioned it. Pity the good going ends at the removed Harris Creek Hut. Hagii, will try some gentle stuff with a mate first before I commit myself to a group trip - need to know how I can cope before I end up lumbering a group with a potential invalid. But thanks. In answer to Fruitbat: no I'm not doing this on crutches. Out of plaster and weight bearing allowed. Mad pom maybe but not that mad yet. Someone remind me what the two valley sidle tracks into Mitre Flats and Atiwhakatu (when it reopens) are like. And how about the Renata ridgeline? Keep 'em coming ...
Mitre Flats is alot of small ups and downs and always seems to be longer than I remember it. I would try Atiwhakatu first, its definitely the easiest of the two. I haven't been there in a few years but i understand the new hut should be open soon and that they did some track work not too long ago, thinking of heading in to check it out myself when i find a spare weekend.
Just thought of another. Very little uphill and a nice hut, is Kelly Knights Hut you go in from Mangaweka township. Should be open, just need to check with the farmer. pmcke posted a picture of the farm info. A bit muddy on the farm track, but not deep mud. A nice hut with character. The track from Harris Creek to Mangahou Flats Hut would be fine if you had someone helping you on the dodgy bits. Just will be a long day. But a great hut in a nice valley.
Getting a little further afield than your mentioned 1.5 hrs but the Orongorongo Valley in the Rimutakas would have to be one of the easiest walks I can think of. Only problem is that all the huts have to be booked and cost a bit more than your standard back country hut. Also down Wellington way the Smiths Creek area is not too bad to get to from Kaitoke roadend, a bit of downhill near the start and the Smiths Creek Shelter was pretty horrible last time I was there but there are alot of nice camping spots.
Good to hear you're on the mend. Atiwhakatu hut from Mt Holdsworth, 2.5-3 easy hours, smooth benched track, bridged creeks, brand new hut, no hills. My 3 year old walked it without too much complaint! Mitre Flats - barra track, a more traditional tararua track, more up and downs, track rougher, nice hut. Mangahao-Harris creek, nice walk, a couple of scrambles over slips, traditional track, hut removed Orongorongo river, very easy 1.5hr walk SMith's Creek, 2.5-3hr , fairly lumpy track from saddle down to creek. One fairly large slip to negotigate (hint: drop into the creek other than climb over. Ohau River: walk up river bed to two new huts North or South Ohau huts Otaki Forks: Parawai Lodge 5min from carpark plenty of daywalk options
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by madpom
On 28 May 2009
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown