Kaimai-Mamaku

Hi looking for suitable tramps around the kaimai-Mamaku forest for myself and 7 year old son with over night stopout (tent or Hut)anyone got any good ideas cheers Karl
22 comments
11–20 of 22

Seriously crap paper though mine is already falling apart and I've only used it once
Sounds like the Terra-link Tararua maps. Saves buying 4 separate maps to cover the park, but reckon I must have replaced it more than 4 times now, each time it falls to pieces!
I have a large collection of maps and generally I am only now starting to find that some of them are getting tatty and have had to replace some of them. I have all the topos on my GPS so, while I always have the paper map as well, I don't often get it out in the field. The GPS maps are sufficient to locate me in relation to surrounding features, but the small screen is hopeless for any sort of trip planning on a larger scale. That is when I bring out the paper map and that is usually at camp or in the hut.
Well - be prepared to start replacing all your maps. The new 'series' replacing the old 260 maps later this year uses a completely different sheet layout (tall rather than wide) so when you want to buy the one map you're missing: chances are you'll need 4 of the new sheets to get all of the area.
I don't see any rush to change. Apparently there is no change to the actual content. It is only the datum, projection and layout that changes. My GPS has both NZMG and NZTM so I should be able to move easily from one to the other. Of course I will have to change as I replace maps but I see that as a process that can happen over many years. i don't need to rush in now.
Had planned to buy all the old '260' sheets that I was missing and likely to need before they withdrew them (reckon another 20-or-so would get me all the high country). Figure it would be cheaper and more convenient than trying to fill the gaps with overlapping new maps. But then fell off a cliff and living on subsistence income so that plan went out the window!
Thats a brightside. At least you can really say "I fell off a cliff!". How many people can say that?!
hey thanks alot for the info thats made it alot easier for me.i really just dont want to take a wrong turn anywhere.i have a black wolf -2 rated sleeping bag and thermal clothing and i read that there is a fire place in the hut im assuming i should get away with that for 1 night?i bought the morrinsville t14 map before i came here a couple months ago that should get me by shouldnt it...im not completely educated on plotting a course or relaying co ords to the map straight away but i eventually get there so im reading alot on it so hope fully i can put it to the test when im on that track.any quick tips on thats stuff?
If you read all you can on this site and study google earth of the area you are going too, you could do it without a map or a gps. Though I would not recommend this. But it can be done. Just remember Puketutu Hut is not on any maps, and neither is the track up to it, just got to watch out for the mock grave, which last time I was there had a rotting deer pelt on it.
Note on the maps, I print mine off the linz website and laminate them, then leave them on wrong side of rivers, on tracks, in huts and at home. Just as well I have a good memory.
11–20 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by 1974kai
On 11 April 2009
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown