June 2014 updates

Hi everybody, I have put together some updates, including (finally!) the ability to edit your forum posts, plus embedding images and emoticons, plus a number of little fixes of issues. Only basic emoticons are available and I'll leave you to discover the shortcodes for yourself. Note these are retroactive, so will apply to old messages. Please let me know if you see emoticons being applied where they shouldn't be. I will likely just remove any shortcodes that are causing problems like that. Embed images simply by pasting the URL of the image into your message. Due to the media circus at my house yesterday, I haven't yet rolled these changes out, but I will attempt to do so ASAP, and will let you know here.
18 comments
11–18 of 18

I get the same Matthew - clearing cache, logging out has not fixed it. And the 'Edit' button appears to be missing from tracks ... part of same problem of separate?
OK thanks for your patience. That issue is fixed. The pop-up error and the missing edit button were the same issue. I have changed how that edit button appears so that the page may be cached properly. Basically I made a typo in the logic to decide whether you see the button or not. Unfortunately, I have slightly different permissions so I never saw it. As an aside, I have finally discovered what is causing the commenting to break at intervals. Hopefully we have put an end to that as well!
Keep up the good work, Matthew. My work days would be very boring (I would have to do actual work!) without NZ Tramper to look at, so very much appreciated.
I agree with @Yarmoss, @Matthew, awesome site, and awesome job
Haha great to hear. Lots more to come.
Further updates delivered this evening: * Manual closure of forum topics. Topics may be closed if discussions are not conducted in a civil manner. * Automated closure of forum topics. Old and inactive topics will be closed automatically after 14 days. Members are encouraged to start new topics.
Hi @Matthew. On automatic closure, in retrospect I think I'm missing the ability to comment on older topics. I get that some of our threads tend to go on wild tangents from the original subject, but sometimes original topics can just go to sleep for a while, then something new happens. If you're keen to keep them auto-closing, is there maybe some way to let us create new topics which are linked to an original, inactive thread? This way if there's a clear link to something that's been discussed in the past, it might be easier to at least help people find it. I guess there's always the option of simply pasting in a link to the earlier thread, but then it's also only a one-way link.
Hi @izogi, I can tweak the closure timeframe. Open to opinions on this. Not strongly attached to 14 days.
11–18 of 18

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 27 May 2014
Replies 17
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown