Kaimanawa East Taupo Lands Block access for FMC

This thread branched from "Junction Top to Te More - Kaimanawa's" on . Explore the branch.

This is only a partial positive, but reading the latest Federated Mountain Clubs Bulletin (195, March 2014), I see that FMC has managed to negotiate some access to the private land within Kaimanawa Forest Park "for FMC affiliated club members". This land block has been cut off since Air Charter Taupo's lease on the land block was up, along with the permit system which it had for allowing trampers to pay to cross its land from one side of the park to the other. There are several nominated routes, and the gist of it is that those wanting to arrange access should contact Helisika to discuss the proposed travel arrangements, and possibly provide a detailed plan. It may then be approved, depending on the presence of hunting and fishing clients in the area at the time. No charge, but all party members need to be carrying FMC affiliate cards. (So you'd need to be a member of an affiliated tramping or mountaineering club.) See page 23 of bulletin 195 for more details. So, it sounds like a good point (alongside actually being able to access the land again) is that this is probably a better, cheaper and more flexible access arrangement than Air Charter Taupo offered a few years ago. A down-point for some is that it's only available for FMC members. I'm not sure what to think of the latter point. I'm not a fan of privileged access generally, but I appreciate the effort that FMC puts into this type of thing. It represents its supporting members and affiliates before anyone else, and in the context it may have been much easier to negotiate access just for affiliates with established clubs (thereby putting its reputation on the line) than to arrange it for any and every random, un-known person who might phone up Helisika. In light of what's been arranged, I'd think that if you could convince Helisika that you were responsible, you could possibly try your luck by contacting Helisika and trying your luck even if you're not an affiliate.
It is private land and as such the owners (I believe there are several hundred) are entitled to control who can access there land. The fact that this used to once be wide open is not relevant. They now make money of that land and need to maximise the profit much like any other land owner. They know FMC members will play by the rules in terms of keeping clear of fee paying guests litter etc so really this is the best deal that was ever going to be offered. The fee paying hunters/fishers are paying a kings ransom to get in here so that has to be first priority.
I don't disagree with you, @geeves. I think it'd be fantastic if the entire block were part of the public access area for open roaming which makes up Kaimanawa Forest Park, but there are more complex issues at stake and that hasn't happened. It's just a shame that the private block cuts a big hole right out of the middle of the park, separating one side from the other. It's good that the people involved on all sides have made the effort to negotiate this much. I think my biggest wish with what's there currently is that the property boundaries could be improved. Many of them are simply drawn as straight lines in many places, over mountainous geography. This creates an ad-hoc buffer of public land, around parts of the private block, which is harder to make practical use of except for the private land-owners. eg. Try legally walking along a long straight ridge when there's 200 metres cut out of the middle of it, thanks to a corner of the private land jutting over the top of it and down the side. I guess solving that type of boundary issue is also going to be pretty complex, though... probably easier just to negotiate access with the land-owners.
My biggest worry is the other similar blocks around the countryside. I dont know the history of this block but there is another block on Ruapehu in similar ownership. That land was gifted as a treaty settlement then promptly leased back in "perpetuity?" at no cost for public access. I wonder if they will start looking at terms of the lease. Part of the Tongarero crossing is similar private land. Big difference with these 2 blocks though is there is no commercial value.
I wonder how future access to the Ureweras will be managed. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9936055/Healing-our-dark-heart
I'm not too fussed about it just yet. There seems to be lots of good will there from all sides about retaining public access.

This thread branched to "Te Urewera and Public Access" on . Explore the branch (12 messages).

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by izogi
On 11 April 2014
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown