Updates for March 2009

New this month is an email newsletter. This is generated automatically, and is intended to be a summary of what's new on the side. Any suggestions welcome. You will not receive the newsletter automatically. Edit your profile if you would like to receive it. I have also tidied up the "Controls" box where you can rate, bookmark, and tag items.
41 comments
11–20 of 41

Thanks for your feedback everybody. Yes, I think the goal here is primarily about information over competition, and that will drive any future decisions. Personally, I have found it quite useful to see where I have been in the last couple years (that's all I've entered so far). It's a good reference. Peter, you need to view your profile page (click You above) then edit your profile. There's a checkbox there. Note that it doesn't yet do anything, but it will do soon.
I also like to keep track of huts visited mostly for my own personal records, and (selfish or not) sometimes I feel as if I've been somewhere. They tend to be roughly evenly distributed geographically in many places, so if you can have a plan of reaching huts it's one way to design a scheme to get to see a lot of places and get a good feel for an area. :) For a while now I've been tagging my own personal trip reports with huts, and it's an easy way to attach some geographic meta-data without having to look up raw numbers. It's had an interesting effect of helping me to associate certain trips with each other. For this reason I think it could potentially be interesting to see correlations between huts and tracks based on who's visited what. eg. Perhaps "70% of people who visited hut A also visited hut B", thus if I've been to hut A but not B, then perhaps I might want to find out why those people thought hut B was so interesting. It's all just for a bit of fun and interest, though, and perhaps there won't be interesting correlations at all.
Ha! Yes indeed!
Got the newsletter Matthew but just what is probably a minor bug. It says "Hi izogi, This is your regular update from New Zealand Tramper." at the top and then has "This email message was sent by the New Zealand Tramper Newsletter Robot to Mike ****** (and his email address)." at the bottom. Am I the only one or does everyone have Mike's name and email address now. I am sure he won't mind too much as it is all on his blog anyway.
Oh @%$#. I can't imagine how that could have been possible, but I've disabled the newsletter until I figure it out. Sorry to you both.
Yahoo! I'm famous! Last subscriber wins! (I'm fairly certain I wasn't the first subscriber.)
I havent got the newsletter yet? But maybe I shouldnt have it yet?
Apologies once again for this blunder, which I've now fixed. Fortunately, I believe only you two were affected. Lisa, yours is due mid-April.
Thanks.
Hey Matt, Ive lost the year title formatting on the tracks & hut bagging pages. No biggie but just wondering if its a glitch or a new format?
11–20 of 41

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 17 March 2009
Replies 40
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown