Updates for March 2009

1–10 of 41

New this month is an email newsletter. This is generated automatically, and is intended to be a summary of what's new on the side. Any suggestions welcome. You will not receive the newsletter automatically. Edit your profile if you would like to receive it. I have also tidied up the "Controls" box where you can rate, bookmark, and tag items.
Also new this month is the ability to track when you have walked tracks or visited huts. Just look in the controls in the left margin next to a hut or track. You can then see a list of huts or tracks ordered by date. It's a nice way to look back on what you've done. There is a new setting in your profile to optionally share this information with others. Set this if you like, but that feature will be built later. If anybody is interested in "peak bagging" let me know (reply here). I think we would need to start a peak database in order to enable that, but that's no major drama. If you did want a peak database, what would it store? Name, height, routes up, location, relevant tracks....
There is already a peak bagging website - peakbagging.co.nz which is pretty extensive. Some NZ Tramper members are also members on this site too. Wouldn't it make a lot of work for you for something that already exists?
Fruitbat, Actually it would be very easy to set up -- the work would be in entering the peak data. I'm happy to leave it in the hands of peakbagging.co.nz unless there is demand here.
I am not really into peak bagging, but having peak information here would help to complement the tramping tracks. Often peaks are climbed as a detour from a tramp.
Peak bagging or Hut bagging are not my primary motives but its nice to look back occaisionally and remember. This site is a lot more interactive and has a lot more interesting particepation (thanks Matt). As a Solo walker its nice to be on the periphery of a community and share experiences with them as its rare to actually meet that many people when im out there doing it.
Hi Matthew, can't seem to find the "share" button to share the tracks I've walked.
I am not into hut or peak bagging either, but on looking through this database I see that I have visited rather a lot of huts. It is quite fun reminising and looking through old photos etc trying to remember what date it was that I was on that trip etc etc. The trouble is that when you start a competition you start having rules, ie. Do you have to sleep in a hut before you can log a visit, or how high does a peak have to be before it is a peak, is Te Heuheu a separate peak or is it just part of Ruapehu etc etc. Before long things get complicated My suggestion is that you do not show any sort of quantity of what individual people have bagged but do show who has visited what hut or track and when. That way someone can see who has done that track or been to that hut recently so can ask for information about it but can never see that someone has bagged more huts or tracks than someone else. By the way there is another site that can cater for the peak bagger. See http://www.peakbagging.co.nz
Agreed. Information is good and this site provides it. I dont need to enter a competition.
For me hut & track bagging is my own little geeky thing i have going on with myself. I dont need to compete with others either but it'd be good to see where others have been. Really happy with this site Matt :o)
1–10 of 41

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum This website
Started by matthew
On 17 March 2009
Replies 40
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown