hut temperature in summer

i'll be doing the kepler, rees-dart and tongariro circuit in january, and was wondering what temperature the huts are likely to be? i need to invest in a new sleeping bag and am somewhat unsure how warm the huts will be and what temperature rating i should be looking for. i'd ideally like to get a 3 season bag so i can use it in again, but i'm concerned i'll be too warm in the huts if i get something with a comfort of 0-3 degrees. thanks!
not likely, they have double glazing and are full of people in summer. even in cool weather they maintain some warmth they'd seldom get below ten degrees in summer.... i use a bag rated to 6 degrees, i've never needed the hood on it in those huts, and often dont need to do it up and i'm half out of it for half the night...
I think you're right, you'll need a lightweight one. The huts will be hot.
it's a shame as i wanted to buy a 3 season sleeping bag. i feel like i'll roast in one of those. i guess i could buy a lightweight summer bag or still get a three season one and just use a liner/have it half done up. i'll still likely roast but i guess that's the best option.
Cheap bag from warehouse for the summer then wait for the next big sale to get your 3 season. If it does end up cold you can always sleep in thermals
Don't be surprised if your fellow hut-mates also ensure that the hut's heating is switched on all day and all night, no matter what the conditions outside.
kepler hut is an exception, it doesnt have double glazing, and it can snow in summer, i've been in kepler in a northerly storm and i still didnt get cold. i had a thermometer that said 13 degrees at the lowest inside. but you're often in bunk rooms with a couple of dozen people, with most huts there having double glazing, the temps just don't drop that much at night.
Maybe buy a good second hand Summer bag on Trademe? There are usually plenty of 'used once' bags up for sale for next to nothing. Invest your big $ in a good 3-4 season bag.
I have a Domex packlite I use over the summer period, 1.2kg total weight, good down to around 5 degrees. They are selling here and there for around $100 at the moment. Recently I went to a hut near the St James and took it with me, we had the hut fire going overnight.....I was way too hot, even after the fire went out and a frost settled outside. You need a light bag.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by teartear
On 29 November 2013
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown