Tramping Waikaremoana with Kids?

Hi everyone, I've just found this site, looks very handy! We have a 8 and 10 year old, both fit and sporty and have loved the tramping we've done so far. We've done some decent day tramps and did the Pinnacles out from Thames as an overnighter. We're thinking of doing the Lake Waikaremoana circuit next year with them and my questions are: 1) Is the bluff too much for kids to attempt? So should we boat into or out of the closest drop off point, eliminate the hill and shorten the walk? 2) Which would be the best direction? If we did do the whole tramp is it better to get the hill out of the way first when fresh and excited, or at the end when packs are lighter and bit more seasoned to the walking?? Any experience/advice much appreciated. I'd rather not learn by mistake when so much experience out there.
Hi there - did this walk earlier this month, so all info is hot off the press. Panekiri is certainly a bit of a climb - took us (2 reasonably fit adults with full packs) a little over four hours to do, including several stops to admire the view. I can't see your kids having any problems, although they may need help up and down some of the steeper parts. Once you're down off the bluff on day two the walking is pretty easy (apart from a couple of small grunts). I'd definitely start with Panekiri on day one - yes, you're carrying a full load, but knowing you've knocked it off on day one means you can really relax and admire the scenery (of which there is plenty) on days 2 and 3. I strongly suggest using Big Bush Holiday Park for your water taxis - the other DOC endorsed provider skipped town in late October (leaving at least one party stranded on the track I'm told) and left a (road only) shuttle service behind. The boat ride back up the lake at the end of your tramp is a real highlight, it would be a shame to miss it (as we very nearly did!) It's a stunning part of NZ - enjoy!
Thanks so much hutchk, very helpful. I had seen big bush advertised and that they can do gear drops to maybe halfway in for us as we'd be carrying most of the gear I thought they may be able to drop the last few days worth of food in and take our rubbish out. Any others with different opinions?
Hi Hilkin, I was planning to take my son aged 7 and and daughter 11 on the whole track this summer, then follow up with a trip around the Manuoha-Lake Waikareiti loop. Both are pretty keen trampers and enjoy going on some pretty reasonable tops trips into the Tararuas. Both my kids carry their sleeping bags (down or lightweight synthetic about 1kg ea.), foam mattress, storm gear, clothes, snacks, bottle of water, bowl, cup and spoon, and a reading book or game/cards/notebook/pens/pocket knife, probably 5kg in total. My daughter also carries some food (dinner for the first night) or the cooker/gas bottle as well. I carry my own gear plus everything else for the three of us (tent or fly, billy, food, 1st aid etc.) I was planning on going around the lake first before going over the bluff, the only reason for choosing that way is because the last time I walked the track I went over the bluff first. Panekire Hut has run dry in the past so I was planning on carrying extra water for part of the trip. HutchK makes some good points about getting the climb out of the way and the boatride back. I've led a few family trips with the tramping club and I'm always surprised at what kids can do. Having a mate along makes a huge difference, breaking the day up into bite sized chunks with some longer breaks/swims/collecting and a big bag of lollies (reward/incentive/bribe) make a difference too.
Thanks nzbazza, good tips, the pinnacles we did with 6 other families and having mates definately helped get them there, the chaos at the hut was a bit mental though so maybe one other family would be ok. Obviously hut size would restrict numbers too. It'd be great if you could let me know how you get on with your trip, any tips etc... Cheers PS/ I'm impressed with how much your kids carry! What packs do they have? Looking at the Deuter Fox 40 for our 10 year old for xmas, not sure what to do for the 8 year old.
Hilskin, take a look at Bivouac. They have Osprey packs for kids. I have the 23L for my 6 year old and the 35L for my 9 year old. They are great packs.
Hilskin, It has been a gradual process to build up the kids to carrying their own gear. Both my kids are pretty active, play sport and go overnight tramping every 6-8 weeks. My 7 year old son went from carrying a few clothes and snacks when he was 6 to all his own gear in about a year. It helps that my boy is a big strong unit and would do well in the All Blacks front row. Originally the kids used pretty basic school/day packs but now use large 35-40 litre daypacks, a One Planet Traverse with an adjustable length back and a Kathmandu prototype design that was never sold, both brought off Trade Me. The packs are about half full when packed, making it easy for the kids to pack their own packs in the morning (big time saving tip!) and look impressive on the trail . While ~5kg is not much for an adult to carry on the shoulders, proportionally for a kid it is, so something that has a frame and good hipbelt makes a big difference to them. A good daypack would last them a long time and be useful later in life. I've seen the Osprey's Garth mentioned, Deuter, Macpac Kakapo, and Mountain Designs packs used by kids on the family trips I led, along a multitude of different school bags. All seemed to work well, so long as the pack fits well and is comfortable to wear. In my experience so long as the pack and footwear are comfortable to wear, and the raincoat keeps you (relatively) dry, that's about 90% of gear issues sorted. The weather and conditions on a great walk over summer do tend to be relatively benign (although there are always exceptions). Most of my kids gear has been brought 2nd hand off Trade Me/hand me downs. The kids seem to grow so fast that I can't justify spending $$$ on gear for them. Things like thermals, fleeces hats gloves come from the Warehouse or Ridgeline on sale. My kids use trail running shoes (as do I) and they have held up remarkably well to Tararua rocks and mud. In my case my leather boots only used now when a trip goes above the bushline and deep snow or ice are expected. I understand what you mean about chaos in a large hut with a group of kids. I try to either give them jobs to do like get water, prepare dinner etc, or encourage that they play games outside, but you don't always (often) win...
"I understand what you mean about chaos in a large hut with a group of kids." As someone who doesn't take kids into the hills... but may be doing so in not too many years depending on how Bubs grows up... I have to say that kids in huts don't normally bother me, and it's sort-of what I expect for a hut that's relatively accessible. It's great to see them actually getting out and enjoying it, as long as there's someone nearby who's keeping an eye on them. What irks me much more are parents and others (and I realise this is only a minority, but they exist) who start acting as if they own a hut simply because they arrived first and have managed to fill the place up. If others get the beds first then it's fine with me, but others still have a right to bed down on the floor or under benches or on balconies or wherever they fit.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Hilskin
On 23 November 2013
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown