Camp footwear- what do you use?

1–10 of 19

I have some classic kiwi flip flops that I use, Im wondering what others are using for camp footwear while in huts or around the camp site. Do you even bother to wear anything or are you so hard core you dont mind walking around in bare feet.
I have a set of"jellys" These are a copy of a clone of a copy of a crock without the heel strap. Weigh less than half the weight of a jandle and you can leave your socks on. Dont worry about the flouro purple colour
I usually take a pair of cheap super light sandals. I found them at some random shop (warehouse or Shoe Warehouse or something). They are lighter than jandals and you can wear socks with them. If I'm trying to go extra light then I will might wear bare feet (in summer, with lots of repellent as sandflies love my feet) or if it is cooler/wet use plastic bags over socks.
Usually Crocs if I take anything. At some regularly visited huts I've left old boots, gumboots or trackies but sometimes I get there & they have gone or I find someone else wearing them.
I always take my Salomon Techamphibian's. They may be seen as overkill but they are comfortable, light and if something ever happened to my boots I can walk out in them. I can also take a trip to the WC without worrying about slipping on my butt.
It depends on the season and the weather. Either light jandals or Keen water shoes (for the reasons mentioned by Garth). I have been thinking about swapping the jandals for crocs so I can keep my socks on.
Had some canoe shoes, but switched to Crocs. Mostly due to weight & handling wetness.
Mitre10 Mega sells 'Sloggers' gardening shoes, similar to Crocs but cheaper (about $22 a pair) and without many holes. Super light weight and sturdy. I've worn a pair through this winter most days in my workshop and up and down our (900m mountainous) driveway and they are still OK. Great for around the huts and very comfy with a really well padded sole. (No, I don't work for Mitre 10! lol )
I use Keens. A bit of over kill, but they have a great sole on them and toe protection so I can use them outside if I dont feel like putting boots back on.
$9.95 version of crocs from the wharehouse. get the ones without the holes in the side. I usually squash them together and stick a bit of duct tape around them
1–10 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by bradley1
On 9 August 2013
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown