Absolute Wilderness Freeze Dried Meals

Not sure if you're allowed to do this - but I thought I'd let you guys know theres a new high performance freeze dried meal brand in New Zealand. Here's a bit about us - At Absolute Wilderness our passion is for creating high performance meals for outdoor athletes and enthusiasts. We only make meals that are super tasty, light weight and packed full of the things athletes need in the outdoors. We use the latest food and nutrition science, in-depth taste testing and the best ingredients. This attention to detail creates meals that are easy to use, easy to carry and always taste amazing. All our meals are completely freeze dried. Freeze drying is considered the best method of drying because it is able to preserve the natural flavors, nutrients and shape of the food. The end product is super light weight, packed full of flavor and quick to rehydrate. Because we take food seriously we never use air drying on any of our products. Available online now.
16 comments
11–16 of 16

I'm fairly sure that expiry dates are often only written on many things these days to ensure manufacturers keep selling things even when people aren't using them. That's probably why there are often expiry dates on things like pillows!
Yep, this is what's in most dehydrated spuds: Preservatives BHA and BHT BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) are commonly used preservatives that can be found in breakfast cereal, nut mixes, chewing gum, butter spread, meat, dehydrated potatoes, and beer, just to name a few. BHA is known to cause cancer in rats, and may be a cancer-causing agent in humans as well. In fact, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, National Toxicology Program's 2011 Report on Carcinogens, BHA "is reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.” It may also trigger allergic reactions and hyperactivity, while BHT can cause organ system toxicity. Where it's banned: The UK doesn't allow BHA in infant foods. BHA and BHT are also banned in parts of the European Union and Japan. toluene? That's what used to be in marker pens. Not sure if it's allowed in them now.
Thanks Honora, appreciate your concerns but we're not putting BHA or BHT in our products.
Cheers, Andyinthebox. I did notice the absence of BHA, BHT in your products - thanks for that. I hope BCC have eliminated it too.
I'd vote for dried refried beans. They can be made into so many things, good protein, they're hard to find, and there's no vegetarian source at the moment (Santiago brand are around but contain carmine which is ground up insect, mmm delicious). For reference I'm actually vegan so wouldn't buy your korma. I might buy your couscous, and I would definitely buy your fruit. [If you're not vegetarian, Aji in Chch stock these beans, and they're better and cheaper than canned refried beans.]
I have just worked out why my chocolate cakes haven't been rising so well lately. Baking powder expired on 15 Feb 2006. It was doing fine till a couple of months ago!
11–16 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Buy / sell / exchange
Started by andyinthebox
On 3 July 2013
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown